Maker Pro
Maker Pro

[Need help] Kind-of new to electronics --

Grady56

Jul 5, 2012
I'm not sure If I posted in the right section, sorry If I didnt!

I recently (The past 4-5 months) have gotten into electronics, after having my interest in Computer hardware for 5 years, and wanting to figure out what REALLY goes on in the Graphics cards, Motherboards, ETC. with Computers (Its going to be a while before I'm able to grasp the concept and thinking that goes into designing those kind of devices, I've looked into Processor fabrication process's, PCB Manufacturing and all that, and its ALOT more complicated than I would have ever imagined :p ).

Anyways, back to the post :)

I wanted to know if anyone could give me a really good starting point for a person with my knowledge. I have a good foundation (Like I said, I'm not completely new, I've been doing some self-teaching + reading/researching for 5 months now, so Just assume I have the very basics down pat + I have a pretty good amount of knowledge with Computer hardware, so I'm thinking thats going to be helpful in learning electronics as well), so assuming all that where would someone like myself start off in trying to learn electronics?

Any and all responses are appreciated (As long as there not rude, cause there is no reason why anyone should be rude o-o )

Thanks!

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
If I were you, I would have a look at the book "The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill.

If you're advanced enough to understand it, it is one of the best books I've found.

The other thing to do is to make stuff. Have you built any kits?

You can also build up circuits on a breadboard and learn *LOTS*

Motherboards are a mix of stuff. It's not too hard to get a concept of what goes on them, but to actually understand what some of the chips actually do (at a low level) would be a big ask.

Grady56

Jul 5, 2012
If I were you, I would have a look at the book "The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill.

If you're advanced enough to understand it, it is one of the best books I've found.

The other thing to do is to make stuff. Have you built any kits?

You can also build up circuits on a breadboard and learn *LOTS*

Motherboards are a mix of stuff. It's not too hard to get a concept of what goes on them, but to actually understand what some of the chips actually do (at a low level) would be a big ask.

Ill try and find the book, do you know if its sold/distributed in PDF format? Or would I have to go out and purchase it?

john monks

Mar 9, 2012
If I understand your question you are in exactly the right section. You will never understand everything. But you can understand the basics. Electronics starts out with only three basic components, resistors capacitors, and inductors. You need to study these things until they are part of you. Studying and working in electronics you will see variations of these things over and over again. Then you will need to study mathematics through differential equations. This can be done in a local community college. And once you start you should not stop until you are finished because once you stop it's very hard to pick it up again. Computer science teaches you how the various parts of the computer work. This is more tricky because computers are changing very fast. In the work place no one expects you to understand everything about electronics but you must be competent enough to be able to solve complex problems in a short period of time. Mathematics will help in this direction. So why are you interested in electronics, mother boards, graphic cards and PCB manufacturing?

Grady56

Jul 5, 2012
If I understand your question you are in exactly the right section. You will never understand everything. But you can understand the basics. Electronics starts out with only three basic components, resistors capacitors, and inductors. You need to study these things until they are part of you. Studying and working in electronics you will see variations of these things over and over again. Then you will need to study mathematics through differential equations. This can be done in a local community college. And once you start you should not stop until you are finished because once you stop it's very hard to pick it up again. Computer science teaches you how the various parts of the computer work. This is more tricky because computers are changing very fast. In the work place no one expects you to understand everything about electronics but you must be competent enough to be able to solve complex problems in a short period of time. Mathematics will help in this direction. So why are you interested in electronics, mother boards, graphic cards and PCB manufacturing?

It all just seems really exciting and interesting to me, It always has. I still remember those times when I'd goto review websites and see a Nvidia GTX 690 and be like: "Damn, thats really cool, I wish I could design one of those", its just something I've always been interested and passionate about. I've never really gotten a good definative answer as to what track I should take to maybe learn how to do that, and maybe even one day, design one with a team or by myself :)