Connect with us

Need help in identifying component

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by phlox, Oct 1, 2018.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. phlox

phlox

May 19, 2012
    Hi all. A friend accidently gave is dash cam 12v while routing cables and the cam came with a 12v to 5v adapter.

The adapter is fine and the works off the battery but one component on the usb socket power input is fried

Could someone help identify it?
    The only markings that i can see are " W961 T7"

Its a 6 pin chip

Attached Files:

2. phlox

phlox

May 19, 2012
    Maybe a TVS diode?

3. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    Not a TVS diode - possibly a twin MOSFET package but....man..., that's taken some battering! How you can read any data from that package is a mystery! It MIGHT be the same device as the one below it but that's pure guesswork. You could determine it from the schematic but the chance of finding one is remote.

This might be a 'lesson learned' event only recoverable by replacement of the whole unit.

4. phlox

phlox

May 19, 2012
    If you hold a bright light to it at a certain angle you can barely make out most of the markings on it.

Anyway to bypass it maybe? And try to fix it?
    Mayb run remove it and check traces to see where the 5v goes to?

5. phlox

phlox

May 19, 2012
    I think i might have found the chip.

The markings were WS61 t7 something which i couldnt make out. But it looks like a over voltage/over current protection chip.

Attached Files:

6. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    Didn't work very well, did it? :D

7. phlox

phlox

May 19, 2012
    Lol no.

So could i remove it the circuit should work? Or remove it and brdige out the taces with a wire or something to test?

8. phlox

phlox

May 19, 2012
    I removed the burnt component.. also found a small capacitor to ground which was shorted.

Looks like 4 of the pins are connected to ground and 2 used to supply power.

Maybe just bridge it and see if it turns on?

Attached Files:

9. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    I'd start by cleaning the solder, flux and carbon residue from the board so you can see what's what first....

10. phlox

phlox

May 19, 2012
    i had a look, 4 of the pins go directly to ground. 1 pin is Vin and the other is Vout (exactly like in this schematic : https://datasheet.lcsc.com/szlcsc/Will-Semicon-WS3202E61-6-TR_C191359.pdf )

Probably not exactly the same chip since i cant read the last digits , but according to the pinout in the schematic and what i see on the pcb it looks the same.

So i could just bridge the Vin and Vout pin and it should work.

Attached Files:

11. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    CLEAN THE AREA!!!!!

I, honestly, can't make out squat from those pictures. You seem to have SIX pads that are grounded plus 'others' for in/out - for a 6-pin chip????????? There may even be tracks under the enormous solder blobs that are all over the place for all I can tell.

IF your theory is correct then yes, shorting in/out will bypass the device and may restore operation - it also removes the original protection circuitry so you'd be 'on your own' as far as further potential faults are concerned.

12. phlox

phlox

May 19, 2012
    I'll clean up the board tonite as i dont have it wth me right now. Bu the right most top 2 pins and bottom pins are directly connect to each other and ground. Ill clean up the burnt part as well , and the top left most pin was basically melted away right where the burnt part is. Ill send pics as soon as i cleaned it up.

13. phlox

phlox

May 19, 2012
    Cleaned up the board as good as i could.. replaced the shorted capacitor to ground and bridged the Vin and Vout pads with a wire and all is working.

Thanks for the input.

kellys_eye likes this.
Ask a Question