Connect with us

Need help identifying component!!

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by blueflag, Aug 22, 2011.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. blueflag


    Aug 22, 2011
    Hi all,
    First post here and cards on table, I know little or nothing about electronics! :eek:
    My fridge on my motorcaravan has failed to work on mains electricity, I've stripped it out and found the following.
    I'm no spark, so be kind to me, a 5A fuse leading to the AC heating element has blown in the board but what looks like a capacitor (red 15mm diameter smartie shape) which is in line with the fuse has also blown, it's burned as though someone has put a match to the periphery, charring about 1/4 of it quite badly.
    I'm capable of soldering in new components, but for the life of me I cant find anything that resembles the number on it relating to capacitors.
    The number is 275L20

    Thatis how it appears on the side.

    What on earth is it? Help!!
  2. shrtrnd


    Jan 15, 2010
    Whoa. That's not a cap, it's a MOV (Metal Oxide Varistor). 275V, 4.5KA.
    It's purpose is to absorb transient voltage spikes, to protect the circuit.
    You can probably find a data sheet on the device 275L20, ... the 0409 is the date
    code, manufacutured in 2004, 9th week of manufacture).
    It's very possible just the MOV went, taking-out the fuse.
    You should be able to find a replacement easily, now that you know what it is.
    Good luck.
    And appliance repair store, or tv/radio parts supply store, or on-line catalog.
  3. blueflag


    Aug 22, 2011
    Fast reply, what a star, thanks very much, I SHALL have cold beer on holiday. (fingers crossed!)
    Thanks again,
  4. Rflyster


    Nov 30, 2010
    I googled the P/N. Be careful that same P/N is a surge suppressing capacitor which would work differently and wired in the circuit. I have 40+ years experience in communications electronics.
  5. (*steve*)

    (*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

    Jan 21, 2010
    Can you provide a link? I also googled for the part number and found some links *claiming* to be for a capacitor, but they turned out to point to varistors.

    When I clicked on the link, the search that came up (on a datasheet site) was "capacitor 275L20". My guess is that someone performed this search previously and either Google or the datasheet site though that it was similar enough to be relevant.
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day