Connect with us

Need Help Identifying A Component

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Bill Schmidt, Dec 30, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt

Dec 30, 2016
    Greetings,

I'm trying to repair this circuit board for a vintage Mercedes idle speed control, and I'm having trouble finding something to replace the burnt resistor in the far right corner. It is gray with one black stripe. Its marked 82R 10%, and its cylindrical body is app.16mm long. However, I can't seem to find anything that looks like it on the Web. So, I'd greatly appreciate any help anyone can give me.

Thanks very much in advance.

ICU resistor2.jpg Icu.jpg ICU resistor.jpg
    Bill

2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    Welcome to EP.
    Unfortunately your photos are not of a good quality. See here how to take helpful photos.
    82R 10 % is a 82 Ω resistor with 10 % tolerance. The power rating can only be guessed. The information here suggest it is at least a 1W or more resistor,

3. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt

Dec 30, 2016
    Thank for the response, Harold. However, I don't think that a better photo will tell you anything more about this resistor than I already have, since 82R 10% are the only markings it has on it.

If it is "at least 1W' as you speculated, should I use a resistor that is 1W, or can I use one that has a slightly higher or lower wattage?

Alternatively, if I power the board up using the car's 12V connector, is there some way I can measure the wattage?

Thanks very much in advance for any other info you can give me on this

4. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    Higher wattage is safe. I don't recommend lower wattage. 1 W is only a guess anyhow.
    You can measure the voltage drop across teh resistor. From P=V²/R you can determine the actual power dissipated. The rated power should be at least twice that value.

Ask a Question