Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need help identifying a component!!!!

tony1111

Sep 14, 2016
Hello all and thank you in advance for helping me find this part. I'm at my wits end here, it's a simple SMD diode by Vishay but NO ONE at vishay or anywhere where else can identify this!! The marking on it is "SS61A" The "SS" are on the top of the diode, the "61A" below that. Any help would be REALLY APPRECIATED!!!!

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
What casing configuration is it in and in what equipment . . .to see HOW it is functioning in circuit.
Also the equipment used in and if having a schematic or service manual the part may be closer defined in its parts list

73's de Edd

tony1111

Sep 14, 2016
Hi there and thank you for that response. It's a TVS diode I believe, only because it stems right off the coil/tiny transformer on the board. I'm guessing it's there for handling more current? It's used in an oven board, off a Wolfe cooktop or stove. Can't get The casing is SMB DO 214 I believe?? I've attached a picture. Thanks again!

Attachments

• 20160828_184607.jpg
    20160828_184607.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 99

bushtech

Sep 13, 2016
I'm not trying to hijack this thread but coincidentally I'm also sitting with a smd diode with the the same manufacturers logo that I'm trying to id. Mine is a SM 53 6.

Would appreciate finding out who the manufacturer is

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir Tony
Does this supplied info now answer all of your questions.
With your units application shown a the very top as being one of a spike snubber pair across that driven inductor.
With the old General Instrument 61A spec falling in "a hole in the ground" in the specs of the
new parent . . . . Vishay lines offerings of those devices.
Sooooo . . . . . just shoot one voltage spec level up.
BUT . . . .I don't THINK that is even being your problem !
If that companion diode tests good and this unit tests "open" .
You really need to observe waveform across it in a working circuit with a scope to see if it is "spike snubbing" .

Circuit no workee ? then you . . .

Pull it and DC voltage test it with a DVM across it and apply a high enough voltage across it . . . . .current limited with a series 1 meg resistor . . . and see if it voltage breaks down as per the spec's .

Le Reference . . . .

Snubber diode.jpg

73's de Edd

Last edited by a moderator:

tony1111

Sep 14, 2016
Excellent. Thank you very much! The component is bad, off circuit testing being applied, shows as a short. The problem was though not being able to locate the replacement! So now, I can! Thank you very much!!

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir bushtech . . . . .

Moving on down to your situation . . . .

" Mine is a SM 53 6. "

Now, I could only suspect it being the same on THAT part needed.

With the 53 being the key numbers and being unsure of the end 6 aspect.

IF your unit is not testing out as being SHORTED then use the same advice in the use of a higher DC voltage . . .being current limited by a series 1 meg resistor in line with that voltage source.
That then provides a means of non destructive testing upon that device and you being able to see the area that the voltage clamping effect starts with that diode.
(Test and swap around both ends, as you might have yourself a bidirectional unit . . .versus a unidirectional one.)
You just monitor the DC voltage from ground to the resistor lead of the 1 meg resistor, that is being away from the power supply.
As you increase the supply voltage and swing the diode in with one end grounded and the other end making temporary contact to the voltage measuring point , you will see the diodes engaging effect of progressively dropping that test voltage level, as it is gradually being increased.
OR its having NO effect on the test voltage . . . . if the diode is then being swung away from that test connection node to a non contacting position..

BTW . . . . .Peanut Gallery Audience: . . . .et al

THIS is the same procedure that I use on MYSTERY transistors that I have found in the deep dark bottom depths of my junque box.
In testing from C-E for bipolar transistors, I am then able to ascertain the initial onsetting VCBO avalanche voltage threshold of that tested transistor..
I then duly deduct 25V from that value for higher voltages if being on up in the hundreds of volts or if being a low voltage unit, only 5 V is deducted.
DIODES:
If being a ZENER, you just read out that voltage, but for a truer reading you would need to up the test current level.
BUT if you are testing a silicon family diode, and you see voltage drop onsetting . . . .you either have yourself a Zener diode if it remains stable . . . . .OR . . .you have just found yourself the PIV threshold of that diode.
Just underate it, as was being done on the transistors, to keep well below that critical voltage threshold.
In my particular case, my variable voltage supply source . . . .up to 500VDC . . . . is being and old EICO resistance capacitance bridge, being used in its leakage voltage test position.
That occasional use of that unit seems to keep its internal power supply electrolytics in a healthy state of reformation.
FACTOID:
Do you "recognize" that I have found some 1N4007's that do not show an avalanching onset, until getting on up into the 1700-2000 VDC region ? Lower 1N4000 series can be just as spread out !
(Thats having to use a 3KVDC power supply source made by Varo . . .being run by a single " D " cell . . . that was originally used with a VN era sniper nightscope.)

In my researching of GI / GS . . .the diode and transistor guys . . .I went as far back as the last engineering catalog that I had from them, and even in it, the exacting "53" spec was being non related .

So I would say to go with the SMAJ54A in the parts list above, if your avalanche testing above does not confirm the unit to be working and being good.

If anyone needs that last GI / GS product catalog. . . .issued just before their being absorbed by Vishay . . . for their really-searching, it is available in my electronics reference library at Scrib-D as:

GENERAL INSTRUMENT / SEMICONDUCTOR PRODUCT CATALOG:

https://www.scribd.com/user/8625470/Edd-Whatley

Some other of my posted technical info + schematics are here:

http://s391.photobucket.com/user/eddwhatley/library/?sort=3&page=1

Thasssssit . . . . . . .

73's de Edd

Last edited by a moderator:

bushtech

Sep 13, 2016
Thanks for all the info St. Edd. Great stuff- busy working my way through it.

Oh, and please ignore the 6, it's actually the logo