Connect with us

need help finding ac/dc adapter

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by crw, Aug 25, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. crw

crw

Aug 25, 2015
    Hello, I'm new here, and I apologize if I'm using the wrong sub-forum or otherwise making a mistake with this post.
    I'm trying to find a replacement AC/DC adapter for an iPhone dock/audio system. I've done many Google searches, and the original model is no longer available. Searches all point to a replacement by another manufacturer. I purchased one from Amazon, and upon receiving it, noticed there is no UL mark on the label, although there are others--CE, FCC, "Safety Mark". The one pictured on the Amazon page did have a UL mark. I'm concerned on one hand that the device may be unsafe--I don't want my house to burn down. The UL label may have given me a little more confidence. On the other hand, I think it's entirely possible that all of the certification marks could be fake. All of these cheap adapters are made in China, probably by the same company. Most of the various websites use the same generic photo for the adapters, even if they are for different devices, voltages, etc. The Amazon page didn't show an actual model number for this adapter made by "Upbright", just the model number of the original KTEC adapter that it replaces. All of the sites do this.
    Can anyone recommend a reliable AC/DC switching adapter, input 100-240VAC, output 18V, 2.5A? The output current of the replacement adapter was 3.5A, but the device calls for 2.5, so I suppose 2.5 at least is what I'm looking for.
    I'm just frustrated that all my searching online is taking me to the same one or 2 Chinese manufacturers which seem very questionable. Some of them are wholesale sites where they are selling 100s or 1000s of them for a few dollars apiece---so it makes me even more suspicious of the quality.

2. Minder

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
    You also need to make sure if it is a simple linear supply (unregulated) or SMPS, which most are now.
    It makes a difference to the actual output voltage regulation.
    M.

3. crw

crw

Aug 25, 2015
    Although the original adapter doesn't specify, the replacement adapter is listed as a "switching power supply". So I'm assuming that it is what I need.

I just found a company online that I hadn't seen before. It is called Jameco Electronics and it is located in California. Have you ever heard of them? Their website looks pretty legit, unlike the fly-by-night places I was finding before. I think I might try this product--http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_2154951_-1 I hope it works out!

4. KMoffett

KMoffett

Jan 21, 2009
    Jameco is a great supplier to hobbiests. I've used them for years with no problems.

Ken

5. crw

crw

Aug 25, 2015
    thanx folks, I think I'm on the right track now...

6. Minder

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
    I agree, Jameco is pretty good, the one thing you have to watch is the type of end connector and the polarity, Usually +ve is the centre, but some are oddball and use centre for -ve.
    M.

Ask a Question