Connect with us

Need help designing laser project

Discussion in 'LEDs and Optoelectronics' started by tdison, Sep 24, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. tdison

tdison

Sep 24, 2014
    I have a new project & need your direction because I know nothing about electronics.
    1. I need to direct a laser, or similar device, in the direction of an object no more than 1000 yards
    2. I need the device to be alerted visually or audibly
    3. I also need the object to be alerted as well
    I am ok with some sort of non directional receiver affixed to the object
    something simple, small & light
    Any ideas?

2. KMoffett

KMoffett

Jan 21, 2009
    Can you explain in a lot more detailed about exactly what your "project" is?
    It's often easier for us to help solve your problem, than help solve your solution! ;)

Ken

3. tdison

tdison

Sep 24, 2014
    notification and alert system. It would alert the laser source as well as the receiver that a laser has been directed toward sensitive equipment

4. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    you could place corner reflecters all over the device. The laser could detect this by looking for a strong reflected signal. The device could detect it by means of light detectors.

The practicality if this depends on the size of the laser beam a the point it hits the object (the detectors and corner reflectors need to be close enough together to intercept the beam) and the relative brightness of the laser and ambient light. Modulating the laser would help, but that's likely to be problematic I guess.

Another method is to have detection on the object and broadcast a signal via radio that it has been "hit"

Ask a Question