Connect with us

Need help building a AC to DC converter

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by oldpaddy, Mar 16, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. oldpaddy

oldpaddy

Mar 16, 2016
    Hi all, I took electronics in college from 97-01. Unfortunately I remember very little. So please bear with me.

I need to build a ac/dc converter for my lionel transformer/throttle. The lionel transformer (cw80) output is 18vac and I need to convert it to 24vdc 5a for a G scale train set.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2016
  2. elektrroda

elektrroda

Sep 1, 2015
    What is the transformer, you wrote 18V AC, but what current. You said that transformer has 18V, if you multiply per sqr2, you have about 25 DC without load. If you connect load , voltage bring down itself to about 22 V, You see, the transformer must be about 22 AC and current min 5 A. If you can apprioprate transformer, you connect bridge and capacitor

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2016
    davenn likes this.
  3. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    Welcome to EP.

Use a bridge rectifier to convert ac to dc. You'll find tons of references where a smoothing capacitor is used to "clean" the rectified ac (see section "Output smoothing" in above link). For a model train this is most often not required and may even have a negative effect at low speeds. The pulses dc is good at generating torque in the motor even at low speed settings due to the somewhat higher peak voltage.

Ask a Question