Connect with us

Need connector type name for AC adapter

Discussion in 'Electronic Repair' started by [email protected], Jun 29, 2006.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Guest

    I've google'd the net and search this forum, but no luck. So,.......

    I've encountered two of these little beasties this week. It starts with
    a wall wart style AC adapter, plug-connected to a small cable, which in
    turn is connected to a 12 VAC miniature halogen bulb. They are used to
    illuminate floor-standing bubbling lamps, and other similar decorative

    The connector, and what it might be called, is the bear! The male plug
    is molded rubber, and the two connectors are a flat blade, 3/8 inch
    long, about 1/8 inch wide. Near that is a round pin-like prong,
    probably 1/16 in. or a little larger diameter. The configuration looks
    kind of like this from the top (proportions are WAY off!):


    This plugs into a wall wart style Class II transformer, low wattage
    (15-20W), and the output is 12 VAC (don't know the amperage, but it only
    needs to drive the miniature halogen bulb). The bulb look like overhead
    projector lamps.

    Now, my problem: I need to find a replacement wall wart transformer.
    I've searched various suppliers including I can find
    transformers with the proper electrical characteristics, BUT the
    secondary/output connector type is seldom described (if there is no cord
    attached to it). And, I don't know the name of this connector type so I
    can put it into a search engine.

    Any help GREATLY appreciated!

  2. Franc Zabkar

    Franc Zabkar Guest

    2 pin DIN plug/jack/socket?

    - Franc Zabkar
  3. Eeyore

    Eeyore Guest

    DIN Loudspeaker plug.

    I've seen it used on a friend's 12V halogen lamp too ! It's forever falling out
    when he knocks it.

  4. Almost certainly a DIN speaker plug. An electronics supplier (Radio
    Shack?) should have them.
  5. Why not take the opportunity to change the plugs to the normal DC plug &
    socket ??
  6. Guest

    The male end kind of looks like the DP2M jack, lower left corner of the
    page. Of course, what I need is a wall wart that has the female
    counterpart of that.

    Great lead--many thanks, Frank.

  7. Guest

    Dave and Eeyore,

    Could be. But what I need is a wall wart with the female counterpart of
    this plug. Could be RS might just have them. Many thanks for the tip.

  8. Guest

    Yup, could do that in the particular application. Just trying to save
    some wiring, splicing, soldering, though. I figure if I found two
    devices using this same kind of connector in one week, they gotta be
    around somewhere!

  9. I doubt you'll get a generic wall wart fitted with one. You'll need to
    solder one on. They are available as line sockets.
  10. ian field

    ian field Guest

    Plenty of wall-wart adapters with settable voltage, reversible polarity and
    a star type multi connector on the end of the lead.
  11. There are, but the requirement is for a 12 volt AC type for low voltage
    lamps fitted with a 2 pin DIN line socket. Which isn't included on those
    star type connectors.
  12. Franc Zabkar

    Franc Zabkar Guest

    I have seen that type of socket in transformers for Christmas lights.

    - Franc Zabkar
  13. M.Joshi

    M.Joshi Guest

    As Frank said, it seems that you have a 2-pin DIN connector.

    Most novelty items, cheap garden lights etc. have the same type o
    power supply with a 2-pin DIN connection. Most of them are 12V an
    usually interchangeable.

    I remember using a power supply intended for garden lights to power
    mini novelty disco ball/light which had a 2-pin DIN socket.
  14. ian field

    ian field Guest

    Some of the more common multi-pin din sockets will take plugs with less

    The OP might not want to break open a wall wart, but last time I needed an
    AC one for a Hayes modem I opened an adjustable wall-wart and linked out the
    rectifier, the LED can continue to work as well by adding an anti-parallel
    1N4148 to protect it from reverse voltage and reduce the resistor to
    compensate for only conducting on half cycles.
  15. The DIN 2 pin is unique - it has one large flat pin and one small round -
    the OP gave an ascii drawing.

    It's true that there is an intentional allowing of some pin combinations
    to mate with a different socket - this was to allow a degree of mono
    compatibility when stereo arrived. Hence the rather strange pin out of a 5
    pin DIN designed for stereo in and out to say a tape recorder.
  16. ian field

    ian field Guest

    One large flat pin and one very small round pin sounds very much like a
    loudspeaker plug!
  17. Yup - that's exactly what it is - or rather was. I hope no quality maker
    would be daft enough to use them these days - nasty things.

    But I can confirm they're used for low voltage lighting - I've got a
    couple here.
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day