Connect with us

Need An AC-DC Converter

Discussion in 'Electronic Basics' started by Ron Hubbard, Feb 9, 2006.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Ron Hubbard

    Ron Hubbard Guest

    I think I have permanently lost the 5 V, 1.2 Amp plug-in power supply
    to an old (but still useful) Iomega Zip drive. Does anybody know of a
    company that sells power supplies like those used with most home
    electronic devices?

  2. GotCoffee

    GotCoffee Guest

    check out or

    If you can't get the right plug to go into the drive, chop the one off
    the old plug and solder to new power supply. If you have enough left
    over power in the computer, just tap off of the 5V line from it's power
    supply. 1.2A is quite a bit to to take from an upgaded computer with
    an old power supply.
  3. Ron Hubbard

    Ron Hubbard Guest

    Uh... I think you kinda missed the point: I lost the old adaptor and I
    need a replacement for it. I *might* be able to order one from Iomega,
    but they have discontinued their older Zip drives, so that could be

  4. Bob Monsen

    Bob Monsen Guest

    Determine what polarity it wants. There is often a little diagram on the
    device that indicates whether the center is positive or negative. Also,
    if it is 5V, I'm betting it is regulated, so you'll need one that is

    Then, drive over to Radio Shack and buy one that has the same polarity,
    voltage, and current, and is regulated. Ensure that the connectors are
    identical; those little coaxial plugs come in different sizes. You can
    bring the drive just to be sure it fits. You can also buy a 'universal'
    adapter that will fit every possibility, and every voltage, but they are
    more expensive.

    For mail order, try digikey or mouser, as somebody else suggested. You can
    also try the surplus websites like

    They often have a good selection.

    Bob Monsen

    "If the misery of the poor be caused not by the laws of nature, but by
    our institutions, great is our sin."
    -- Charles Darwin
  5. Rich Grise

    Rich Grise Guest

  6. Rodney

    Rodney Guest

    I have found that thrift stores such as Value Village and The Salvation Army
    usually have a wide variety of used wall adapters for about a dollar a
    piece. You will likely find one there that will do the job.
  7. GotCoffee

    GotCoffee Guest

    Oh. I thought you meant lost as in burnt out. The one I have, the
    center pin is +
  8. kell

    kell Guest

    go to and type in
    it is a REGULATED 5 volt 1.2 amp wall wart.
    center positive
    if the barrel connector is the wrong size,
    take your drive to one of the big Radio Shacks
    that has the full selection of barrel connectors,
    also known as coaxial connectors or plugs
    you can find one that fits
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Similar Threads
There are no similar threads yet.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day