Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need advice on advancing from Arduino boards and next steps

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkCrabs

Mar 5, 2020
Hello Everyone,

After many projects with my arduino uno and mega, I think I am ready to move on to more advanced embedded systems programming with C/C++, such as with Arm cortex based microcontrollers. With the rising popularity of iot applications, I would also like to dip my toes into WiFi and seeing what can be done with it.
I would like to check in with someone experienced in this area to make sure I am going about this the right way.
Going through this wikipedia list, I found out about the RTL8195 dev board from realtek's amebaiot lineup. The boards support wifi and nfc, and are also arduino compatible (which is as plus as i can reuse some of my old expansion boards). Programming can be done in both the arduino IDE or regular C/C++, which should help me get started from a familiar environment. There are also several code examples provided on the official website and video guides posted on youtube channel.

To me, this seems to be a capable platform to move on to. Does anyone have experience with this board? What other aspects should I consider? I would like to learn from how others made progress in their embedded development skills.
Thanks for reading, and I appreciate all suggestions and recommendations.

-Mark

Cirkit

Oct 28, 2015
If you want to build WiFi and IoT projects but program in C, have a look at the ESP32 platform.

There are plenty of IoT examples online.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Truly good advice. The ESP32 is really easy to work with. Lots of libraries and support online available.

Currently I'm waiting for the W600-pico to become available again. Irresistibly cheap and programmable in MicroPython.

dpuklicz

Apr 11, 2020
Check out nodemcu on google and amazon. Basically Arduino with wifi. Program it with Arduino as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.