Connect with us

Need a VI Curvetracer, simple and cheap

Discussion in 'Electronic Equipment' started by Klaus Kragelund, Apr 27, 2007.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Hi

    I need a curvetracer for lab use. Simple stuff like V/I
    characteristics for small signal (<1A) MOSFETs and diodes and stuff.

    Does anyone know of a cheap one that connects to a PC (via USB or

    I have looked at the Keitley and Agilent types, but the starting price
    is about 20k USD for these types


  2. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    You could make your own; a transformer with peak output voltage near
    what you would use, maybe a swithchable diode for single polarity, and a
    few resistors - one for current monitoring and the other for voltage
    Use your scope for the display.
    Add a variac if need adjustable voltage, other secondaries for
    different voltage scales.
    Cheap and dirty.
  3. DaveM

    DaveM Guest

    Search for "curve tracer" on Ebay. Lots of options, some are dirt cheap
    compared to the current crop of commercial models. I have a couple of the
    Heathkit IT-1121 tracers in my shop right now that I bought on Ebay. Both
    worked perfectly the first time I used them, and continue to work well.
    The IT-1121 will sweep the DUT up to 200V, and will test both BJT and FET units.
    Got them both for under $30 each.

    Dave M
    MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the

    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; the closer to the end, the faster it goes.
  4. Fred Bartoli

    Fred Bartoli Guest

    Klaus Kragelund a écrit :
    Have a look at ebay. Tek 576-577
    Usually sales for less than USD500.
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day