Connect with us

Need a little help with a timer please

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Dad2la, Jul 3, 2010.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Dad2la

Dad2la

Jul 3, 2010
    I need some help I'm new at this so here goes.
    I'm trying to make a timer that will allow a button to be pushed and run a motor for aprox 3sec then not allow the motor to be engaged for 15 or 20 min selectable by a switch. Please help. Thanks in advance

Edit: I forgot to mention it will be a 9v battery powering this little project.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Because of the issues of long duration timers. This would be most easily accomplished with a picaxe.

The only issue is that it needs to operate from 5V rather than 9V. A simple voltage regulator and a transistor to operate the motor would be required.

The issue I have is that the amount of power available from a 9V battery is quite limited. How long is this circuit supposed to operate for?

3. Dad2la

Dad2la

Jul 3, 2010
    The motor would only be used 3 - 5 seconds about 4 to 6 times a day. I had assumed a 9v batt. Would be a decent power source but I am open to ideas would 3 or four aa bats wired in series be better? I'm not opposed to the picaxe I'm just at a loss when it comes to the programing portion. I have a mechanical mind so trying to learn electronics is hurting my brain but I hope to get it soon enough.

4. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    The problem is the long duration (15 to 20 minutes) is not suited to a simple timer circuit. In discrete electronics it would be rather more complex than using a very simple microcontroller.

The PicAxe is almost trivial to program and the cost of the stuff you need to program it is very low. A programmable device also gives you the luxury of being able to reprogram it if the behaviour is not exactly what you want. With a discrete timer circuit that's just not going to happen.

The battery issue really depends on how much current the timer and the motor draws, and how often you're prepared to change the battery. Remembering that the timer is powered all the time.

5. jackorocko

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
    If you have a mechanical mind then, programming a picaxe with some flowcharts should be like a walk in the park for you. look up flowchart programming picaxe on google.

Ask a Question