Connect with us

Need a backing to attach LEDs

Discussion in 'LEDs and Optoelectronics' started by icor1031, Nov 26, 2012.

1. icor1031

icor1031

Apr 27, 2010
    I want to make long, thin strips of LEDs.

For backing, to attach the LEDs to: I'd like a material that is rigid, but not necessary. I can glue the LED's base to another piece of material, which is rigid.

I'd like something that I can poke, rather than having to drill through (tedious, too many LEDs).

Any suggestions for me, please?

I had a similar thread here, but my project and requirements are different this time.

2. KJ6EAD

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
    The leads of LEDs are made of soft, plated copper so they won't poke through much, maybe some EVA (ethylene vinyl acetate) foam sheet. It's sold in ¼" thick sheets.

You know that you can buy LEDs on flexible strips precircuited for 12 or 24 Volts don't you?

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/flexible-strips-and-bars/

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  3. icor1031

icor1031

Apr 27, 2010
    I meant something that I can poke with another object, such as a large needle..
    Does that give me more options?

I know I can buy strips, but thanks for the suggestion.

4. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Foamies (as suggested) sheets can be had at any hobby store generally in 1/8" or 1/4" thick... Cardboard, paper, wood, sheet plastics, sheet rubbers, other sheet foams, perforated substrates like perf boards, fabrics, plastic screens like mosquito screens and the list could go on for pages...

There are literally 1001 options out there, but without knowing any of your details everything is just a wild guess...

5. KJ6EAD

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
    I've done some things with LEDs mounted on corrugated polypropylene sign board. You could try that but you must realize that soldering after insertion will require use of a clip on heat sink. The same would be true for most foam materials as well.

You might also try a piece of foam core art board.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  6. icor1031

icor1031

Apr 27, 2010
    My goal is to attach LEDs on long strips, the longest being about 24 foot (I realize I will probably need to use multiple strips to achieve this length). They will go in my room, in the corners where the wall meets the ceiling.

Then, I want to put a diffuser in front of them, so the direct light isn't visible. Something like a hollow half-circle, perhaps?

I figured I could use a laptop charger to power them.

7. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    I would use commercial LED light strips or electroluminescent wire, but if you insist on doing it yourself consider 1/8" welt cord, simply place the legs of the LED on each side of the cord, and twist to each side, kinda like barbed wire... Drop this through white diffused tubing and attach to the wall...

8. icor1031

icor1031

Apr 27, 2010
    Thanks.

9. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    BTW, 'tis the season you can get a strand of LED x-mas lights very reasonable this time of year, just feed it though the tube and plug in...

Ask a Question