Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Near signal detector

Hydra7403

Jun 12, 2012
Hi everyone,

First of all a brief introduction to the problem: :D i've a turtle and during the day i let her going around in the garden (like 50m2),the problem is that the garden have a lot of place to hide so in a lot of occasion i've to search for 10 minutes before finding her (have searched even for hours a couple of times-.-)

Now...the crazy idea,attach a small signal emitter to the turtle (with a strap or something don't worry :p) and make a...'near signal detector' that simply turn on a led when the turtle is like 2 meter near.
I usually work with controllers/digital electronics so i don't clearly know how to do something like that :\.
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
How about (ab-)using a remote doorbell?

Harald

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
A remote doorbell is a good idea, there are also cheap key finders out there that will make a tone when you say clap twice or whistle...

You can also go all hog wild and invest in RFID tracking system, or wildlife tracking but they are generally real costly...

I'm not officially knocking a DIY solution, I just feel it might be impracticable in this case...

Hydra7403

Jun 12, 2012
Thanks to everyone for replys.

Thanks Harald,the doorbell solution seems right to me too.
*CocaCola,yep,RFID systems are a bit expensive hehe
Oh just to know,since i've never opened a remote dorbell,how big do you think it will be? (of course removing any useless thing like cover,supports and using a 2cm speakers instead of the build in ones.)

Thanks.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
I must be dense or something, but I don't get how a remote doorbell solves the turtle location problem. Does the turtle carry the receiver and you press the button and locate him by the sound? This seems rather impractical.

Bob

Hydra7403

Jun 12, 2012
Does the turtle carry the receiver and you press the button and locate him by the sound? This seems rather impractical.
Bob

Yes,that's the idea :D Anyway,why do you think it's impractical?

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012

Hydra7403

Jun 12, 2012
*CocaCola, ops, sorry,i don't know why but i forget the keyfinders idea while i was finding out what RFID was on the net.
Actually you're right,for that price an already made solution like that is probably the best choice.

Thanks.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Yes,that's the idea :D Anyway,why do you think it's impractical?
The size and power requirements for the receiver. I am guessing that they are not especially small and low power since they are intended to by mounted on a wall in the house.

Bob

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
How about a blinking high brightness LED on the turtle's back?

Bob

Hydra7403

Jun 12, 2012
It was my first thought but the problem is that it became useless when the turtle goes under plants/flowers/rock etc.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
But I just love the thought of a turtle cop car! A blue flashing LED would be so cool!

Bob

Hydra7403

Jun 12, 2012
But I just love the thought of a turtle cop car! A blue flashing LED would be so cool!

ahahahah,effectively that will be cool :D

Anyway,probably i'll go for the key locator,it's like 2cm that's really a nice size.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012

Anyway,probably i'll go for the key locator,it's like 2cm that's really a nice size.

I don't know about how concerned you are in the turtles appearance but you might find that some commercial grade self adhesive velcro will work find as an attachment, unless he/she is really into burrowing... This would of course leave a patch of velcro on his/her shell when not in use but it won't do any harm... I would mount this on the back end bellow the arch of the shell so even if he/she does burrow it doesn't take on the brute force like it would if it was mounted top dead center...

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
I don't know about how concerned you are in the turtles appearance but you might find that some commercial grade self adhesive velcro will work find as an attachment, unless he/she is really into burrowing... This would of course leave a patch of velcro on his/her shell when not in use but it won't do any harm... I would mount this on the back end bellow the arch of the shell so even if he/she does burrow it doesn't take on the brute force like it would if it was mounted top dead center...
OMG. I was going to suggest velcro, but thought it was a bit tacky! Though I must admit, I wondered how he was going to attach it.

Bob

weird_dave

May 9, 2012
I want to track cats as well, but I suspect for somewhat different reasons (auto watercannon!)

BobK

Jan 5, 2010

How loud is this thing? Might it be disturbing to the turtle?

Bob

Mongrel Shark

Jun 6, 2012
Use a joule thief to run red and blue lights. You can hear them "ticking" from a meter or two with a handheld radio if it hides under stuff... Look up the "Penny Oscillator" The battery would last for ages. I have one that can make a few hz flash for half a mA of a flat AA. Takes weeks to kill the battery properly...

[edit] Does the turtle swim at all? Because that could complicate things.

Last edited: