Maker Pro
Maker Pro

nb advice with project

darkzide

Jan 17, 2011
Hi... im kind of a noob at electronics... so im trying to do a project
anyways... i wanted to know how would be the best way on performing the next task:

i need a motor to run for around 5 seconds each x amount of time, but for each "run" it have to switch direction... in other words...

0 hrs:
trigger:
motor runs 5 seconds to the left

8 hrs after:
trigger:
motor runs 5 seconds to the right

8 hrs after:
motor runs 5 seconds to the left

and so on.....

i was thinking in using a cheap watch with 2 alarms... and somehow witch each
beep alarm sound make it run... any suggestions and what would i be needing?

thanks in advance

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Several ways to go.
Buy a timer/switch that'll do the job.
Build or buy a timer, and use relays to direct forward and reverse on the motor, or
other ideas that come to mind.
You'll get more responses on this site, if you're more specific in what you're doing.
AC or DC motor, speed, what amperage, what voltage, and probably the thing you're trying to
drive in forward and reverse direction.
All this matters, because depending on speed and power (torque), it's not all that easy
to just immediately reverse the direction of a motor.
Anyway, you'll get plenty of ideas from this site, when you specify the specifics.
(Like a toy on battery power, or a diesel/electric locomotive).

darkzide

Jan 17, 2011
Several ways to go.
Buy a timer/switch that'll do the job.
Build or buy a timer, and use relays to direct forward and reverse on the motor, or
other ideas that come to mind.
You'll get more responses on this site, if you're more specific in what you're doing.
AC or DC motor, speed, what amperage, what voltage, and probably the thing you're trying to
drive in forward and reverse direction.
All this matters, because depending on speed and power (torque), it's not all that easy
to just immediately reverse the direction of a motor.
Anyway, you'll get plenty of ideas from this site, when you specify the specifics.
(Like a toy on battery power, or a diesel/electric locomotive).

First of all thank you very much for your time and the quick response.

I'm trying to make my boiler "automatic", by adding well what i kind of explain.

Ill be using a 110v motor, 5/8 rpms, its strong so im sure it wont lack on force to rotate the boilers valve from "ON" to "PILOT" and vise versa.

The motor already includes the wheel mesh... so i was planing on making one for the valve or just grave in to matching the original one....