Connect with us

Name that component!

Discussion in 'Electronic Basics' started by James, Jan 26, 2007.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. James

    James Guest

    Hi everyone,

    I'm looking for a component that would have three leads, is a switch in
    nature, and acts ultimately like a thyristor EXCEPT one electrical pulse (at
    the 'gate') would turn the switch 'on' (followed by a period of no
    electrical activity) and a further pulse (at the 'gate') would turn the
    switch 'off' - single pulses dictating the switch state (i.e no need for
    continuous current to keep switch in a certain state.) What would this
    component most likely be?

  2. James

    James Guest

    I think what I'm looking for is called a Latching Relay. There's little
    information available on them on the net. Anyone know how I would go about
    making one controlled by a pulse?

  3. Eeyore

    Eeyore Guest

  4. John Fields

    John Fields Guest

  5. John Fields

    John Fields Guest

    Only if one of the coil leads is common with one of the contacts,
    since he's asking for three leads.

    Also, unless the toggle is mechanical, he'll have to use a positive
    pulse to say, SET the relay and a negative pulse to RESET it.
  6. Ban

    Ban Guest

    a Flip-Flop? eventually followed by a MosFet, BJT or relais.
  7. Wim Lewis

    Wim Lewis Guest

    Perhaps a stepping relay, like from an old telephone exchange, but
    with only two contacts, would satisfy the original request...
  8. John Fields

    John Fields Guest

    Yes, but they had lots of contacts on them, so there'd need to be an
    even number of contacts and every other contact would have to be
    connected in parallel with the contacts between them left
    unconnected in order to get the ON-OFF-ON-OFF action.

    There also used to be a line of switches made by Ledex that used a
    rotary solenoid driving a rotary switch wafer that would work.
  9. Mechanical or solid state? Do you have one?

  10. jasen

    jasen Guest

    If that "period of no electrical activity" includes no current through the
    main terminals it sounds like a latching relay.

    If you just mean no activity on the control (while the device is still
    passing main current) you're describing a GTO SCR. GTO="Gate Turn-Off"
  11. jasen

    jasen Guest

    another thought: you could be descriibing an IGBT.

Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day