Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Name that Component! - Stumped

Chu

Jun 18, 2011
Hello all! First time poster here, thought I'd come here for help.

I'm a poor college student in nuclear engineering who wants to do some cool stuff, so scavenging is my course of action >:) I've recently begun taking apart old electronics (i.e. TVs, DVD players, VCRs) and desoldering components from the boards. That in itself has taken some practice, and I'm thankful that surface mount components don't appear in the older stuff.

I came across what looks like a resistor, but it has a symbol I can't find in any of the electronics symbol charts so far... A gold star and 5 brownie points to the person who can tell me the name of the component:

IMG_0585.jpg

The bird-in-a-box symbol:

Bird_in_a_Box.png

Thanks everyone :D

EDIT: After some more searching and guessing, I concluded that it's most likely an inductor (TCAL), a through-hole type in packaging similar to resistors. I suppose I can hook them up to an ohmmeter and figure out the difference that way. Hehe... Hope this helped someone >.<

Last edited:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
hi there Chu,

you pics are not viewable Dunno what type they are but they didnt appear to upload correctly

cheers
Dave

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
i can see the image links the bottom one is blurry and appears to be part of a pcb where you acquired the component from. i can only guess at the item but i thought i would let you know that second pics is blurry

poor mystic

Apr 8, 2011
...so what does it read when you test it with your multimeter?
10 Ohms, perchance?

Last edited:

Chu

Jun 18, 2011

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
http://s3.postimage.org/6aqzti6z1/IMG_0585.jpg

yes definately an inductor, they are very common in that style package in modern electronics
as others have said the second pic is totally blurred and unidentifyable

you will normally find the inductors bulge at the end, where as the caps dont... uniform diameter
its actually sometimes more difficult to distinguish between the very small banded caps and the same size resistors

Dave

Last edited:

poor mystic

Apr 8, 2011
That's new for me! Great!
What sort of work is this designed for Dave, is it for UHF noise blocking? (It doesn't look like a precision component you coud use in a multi-stage filter.)

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
That's new for me! Great!
What sort of work is this designed for Dave, is it for UHF noise blocking? (It doesn't look like a precision component you could use in a multi-stage filter.)

ohhh just about anything :)

I see a lot of them in audio/video gear, cd players, tv etc, you will find them in low power transmitter ccts, less than ~ 2 Watts, where they can be use for interstage filtering, along with caps as well as chokes on DC supply lines to each transistor/ MMIC (MMIC = Monolithic Microwave Integrated Circuit... these have several amplifier stages in a single tiny package (MAR1 to 8; ERA 1 - 8 and many others))

just one example from a CD play I regularly work on...

attachment.php

cheers
Dave

Attachments

• DSCF5263a.jpg
    DSCF5263a.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 215