Connect with us

Name for this type of pot ?

Discussion in 'Electronic Repair' started by N Cook, Aug 3, 2007.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. N Cook

    N Cook Guest

    Generic or trade name, the one in front of me just has a militasry type
    string of numbers
    Multiturn. about 10 turn, but not helical track , just single track but the
    distinctive feature is 3 ball bearings turned by and in close association
    with the spindle to give a sort of sun and planets gearing
  2. N Cook

    N Cook Guest

    the numbers on this one are
    6420679-0 137.6632
  3. Ron(UK)

    Ron(UK) Guest

    Precision pot, 10 turn dial, multiturn pot, used on scopes etc. for
    fine control of the delay.

    Sometimes the 10 turn assy is separate from the actual pot, fixing to
    the shaft just like a normal knob.

    I believe the correct term for the drive arrangement is 'reciprocating ball'

  4. N Cook

    N Cook Guest

    These aren't precision pots they are just normal 3/4 or whatever arc of a
    circle carbon track and wiper but avoid need of a normal coarse and a fine
    Effectively a basic pot, but a bit deeper, otherwise much the same size as a
    basic pot, but with a small 10 to 1 reduction drive in the spindle .
  5. Ron(UK)

    Ron(UK) Guest

    The precision part refers to the ability to adjust in small increments
    rather than the quality of the track itself. A ten turn drive will
    accept any normal carbon track pot.

    The old fashioned way was to fit an enormous knob like on those old BBC
    broadcast mixers.

  6. N Cook

    N Cook Guest

    I think of precision meaning linearity so usually wire-wound.
  7. msg

    msg Guest

    Please see thread "Need sources for pot with planetary drive" in or comp.arch.embedded and view photos at
    for some additional insight into this product.


  8. N Cook

    N Cook Guest

    Yes near enough the same as the one I have here.
    Recently repaired a 30 year old Compass metal detector which used one.
    The ones in my junk heap came from a junked analogue computer from the 60s ,
    a college needed the space where it last ended up. It was about 5x2x8 feet
    in size.
  9. Franc Zabkar

    Franc Zabkar Guest

    Do you mean "recirculating ball" ?

    - Franc Zabkar
  10. Ron(UK)

    Ron(UK) Guest

    Yes I do, thanks

Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day