Connect with us

N00B who needs help....

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Wtimkey, Mar 13, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Wtimkey


    Mar 13, 2014
    Hey guy!
    Please keep in mind when you read this, that I know next to nothing about electonics, so this my sound like a stupid question. I have a set of computer speakers hooked up to my tv, and they are powered by 5v dc, so I have them hooked up to the usb service on my tv, that way they turn off when I turn off the tv, but the new ones I am getting don't have this (unless it's internal) it is just a straight 100v ac plug. Is there any way that I could either convert 110v ac to 5v dc to power them via usb? if so, would I lose any power?
    Would something like this work if I wired the 110v side to each prong of the plug, and the 5v side to the +/- of a usb male?
  2. (*steve*)

    (*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

    Jan 21, 2010
    So the new speakers are powered from 100VAC but you want them to turn on and off with the TV?

    If that's the case, get yourself a power board that turns off some of the outlets when the "master" device stops drawing power. I used one of these to turn on and off a DVD player and some other assorted stuff when the TV was turned off. Typically they require a certain minimum load to operate. In my case it thought the TV was off if it went into standby mode, so I didn't actually have to power it off completely.

    Here they're sometimes called "green power boards". They have other names, but I can't remember them off the top of my head.
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day