Connect with us

MY T.V.'s POSSESSED!

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by na4now, Nov 5, 2009.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. na4now

na4now

Nov 5, 2009
    So, a couple weeks ago,.... Im lying in bed asleep (about 4am.), and all of a suddened I'm awoken to a bright blue light coming from my living room. I live alone,... so I jump out of bed, heart racing,... and grab my gun. I ran into the living room, gun drawn, ....but didnt see anyone. I turned on the lights,.... checked the door,....and preceded back to the living room. As I went for the tv remote, the channels started changing, with the volume pegged to the max! I took the batteries out of the remote, ...and it didnt stop. So, I unplugged the tv, had a smoke, ...and went back to bed.

The next day I plugged the tv back in, and everything was fine. That night, I put on a movie. Halfway through, ...the volume started going down. I tried to fight it with the remote,... but the tv would win every time.

This problem comes and goes, ...but seems to be getting worse.

The tv is a RCA projector, 52" television (RCA model R56WH78). It's about a year and a half old. I want to fix this thing, but I dont know how to find the part.

Theres a board in the front panel of the tv,... that has all the buttons for power, vol, chanels, ect. My first guess is that it needs replacing.

Does anyone know if I can even buy parts for this thing? If so, ...how do I figure out what that part is called? Or get a p/n?

If Not, does anyone know where I could post this where I could get an answer? Any help would be appreciated.

2. warf135

warf135

May 21, 2011
    I know this is an old post now but here is some info that may help others who read this forum.

This is a common fault that happens to many TV's.. your TV is not possessed, although it does seem like it sometimes!

9 times out of 10 the fault is caused by solder joints going bad on the circuit board somewhere. I cannot tell you where to look as all TV's are different, but have a strong light and a magnifying glass and look at all the solder joints on the circuit board. Re-solder any and all joints that look different to the rest (maybe dull not shiny, puffed up or with hairline cracks etc)

This will sort the problem in 90% of cases.

Norm (aka warf135)

3. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    Let me add to warf135 post.
    I live where we have evaporative coolers. High humidity getting into the electronics,
    maybe because of warf135 post, maybe for other reasons; moisture makes the electrical contacts inside the chassis, turning the TV on or off, and screwing with the
    electronic potentiometer contacts for the TV volume.
    During the summer, in the humidity, this is a common issue for me.

Ask a Question