Connect with us

My Intro

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by techiesteve, Jul 29, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. techiesteve

techiesteve

Jul 27, 2013
    Hi, I came across this interesting forum while surfing the web. My background follows....

I first became interested in electronics around 1964 at 14, building a crystal set, projects using valves and cheaper red and white spot transistors. I started work as an apprentice TV engineer, then left TV servicing around 1976. I spent a few years working with industrial process control, then a few years with an MOD contractor, working both with RF and data encryption projects.

Then came a long spell with a growing computer peripheral repair company, component level repairing 8" floppy drives, impact printers, Maxtor and NEC hard drives, and a multitude of power supplies, linear and switch mode. Following on were multiple contracts with companies supplying peripherals for Apple computers.We ran large repair contracts for IBM, Sun Microsystems, ICL Worldwide Spares, Viewsonic and Polaroid. We also became an Apple authorised service provider.

I left around 1997 and ran a small business repairing hi-res monitors and switch mode power supplies for 3 years. Monitor prices were dropping, more were becoming disposable, so I shut the business down and went to one of my Apple based customers as service manager. I left them 7 years ago to join my current company, another AASP. As well as servicing Apple kit by modular exchange, I also support older kit to component level, boards and power supplies from image setters, motor speed control boards from printing presses etc.

After a long break, I returned to my earlier hobby of amateur (ham) radio 4 - 5 years ago. I hold a full UK license. I enjoying building my own kit, small QRP SSB transceivers, an SDR receiver and transceiver and valve (tube) based am transmitters. I also enjoy restoring older vintage kit.

I hope to contribute to the forum in areas where I may be knowledgeable.

Steve Bell

2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    hey Steve

welcome to Electronics Point :)

sounds like you are just a few years older than me ;)
    in 1964 I was only 5 didn't enter the workforce till I finished high school in 1976
    did 12 years with NZ Post Office, NZPO, before being made redundant in the late '80's when it was corporatized and scaled down

Also hold an amateur licence this way had ZL4TBN from 1980 to 2000 then after my move to Australia in 2000, obtained VK2TDN. I have been very heavily involved in construction throughout and in the last 10 years mainly with the microwave bands 1GHz to 47GHz http://www.sydneystormcity.com/amateur_radio.htm

cheers
    Dave

3. techiesteve

techiesteve

Jul 27, 2013
    Hi Dave,

Thanks for the welcome.

My call is M0SVB, and main interests are HF. High noise levels and a small garden don't help, so I enjoy working portable from the nearby countryside.

I have relatives in Australia, we only became aware of them a few years back, and my brother-in-law married an Australian girl and settled there.

Steve Bell

4. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    I'm the middle-man.
    Younger than techiesteve, and older than davenn,
    in the US, half-way between the UK & Australia,
    Also an amateur radio licensee.
    Hope you check this site often, me and davenn are heavily outnumbered by
    engineers here, and you just KNOW technician-based input is essential,.....

Ask a Question