Maker Pro
Maker Pro

My first soldering iron, advice needed.

Arctic Jack

Sep 23, 2011
Hello,

I am totally new to electronics and have zero knowledge on the subject. I have to fix my daughters vintage toy which has a simple motor, switch, battery and cogs set up. The motor is old and the worm gear is cracked. I’ve just bought a replacement motor and I’m currently trying to track down a replacement worm gear.

Anyway, I will need to do some soldering connecting the motor to the two wires. I’ll need to remove the solder and wires and then replace them, so I’m going to need a soldering iron. I’m pretty interested in electronics and have just bought myself a book with a few small projects in so I’d like to buy a soldering iron that will be suitable for many projects. I’m initially looking to spend around £50 but that could change once I have more of an understanding on the subject. You may notice by that pound sign I’ll need it to be available in the UK. I can’t find any decent reviews or a busy electronics forum in the UK so I hope you Americans can help me out.

Could anyone please advise me on good quality soldering iron for around £50 - $80 maybe a little more if it is worth it for my simple needs?

Thank you!

willd1971

May 22, 2011
This may be more than you're looking for at the moment at £80 but perhaps worth a look, it's a combined soldering iron with hot air gun - both are incredibly useful for project work, you can adjust temperatures and change nozzles/tips depending on what kind of work you're doing:

http://www.labtronix.co.uk/drupal/shop/soldering/898bdplus

It's stocked and dispatched from the UK, all my stock is gauranteed and fully tested before it's dispatched!

Goodluck

William