Connect with us

Must convert LED strip to 12 volt

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by Skippi, Feb 27, 2017.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Skippi

Skippi

Feb 26, 2017
    Hello, I have an LED strip which currently uses a transformer from 240volt to manage the input voltage & current

I need to power it using a 12 volt deep cell battery (60amp) and a solar panel instead

Please could someone tell me what to use. I have no experience other than knowing how to solder and changing basic things like fuses and plugs. I think I understand why we need resistors and have found some websites that calculate the resistors needed, but the strip is already there and has no marking on it that I can read.

I assume I need to count the leds but is there any way I can measure their output so I can have more info? What I am really hoping for is someone to tell me all I need is one resistor and a fuse and a switch :)

the photo is taken from the 240volt transformer box

Attached Files:

2. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    It looks as if the PSU is 12V DC and a 12V battery would replace this without any other modification.

3. Skippi

Skippi

Feb 26, 2017
    Thanks for replying. I thought i had to add resistors to stop the leds from overheating. Thats great. So a fuse and a switch is all i need? 5amp? And i have to make sure the wire is big enough yes?

4. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    And make sure that the polarity is correct.

Skippi likes this.
Ask a Question