Connect with us

Multiplexer digital input voltage limits

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Jimbo bob, Apr 15, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Jimbo bob

Jimbo bob

Oct 8, 2014
    Hi everyone:),

I was going through the data sheet for ADG706_707 multiplexer. I am planning to power it with +2.5V and -2.5V. When I go to the absolute ratings section on page 5 it says:
    and then there is a footnote for it:
    I was planning to feed the digital inputs of the multiplexer (i.e. A0, A1, A2 and A3) with Arduino Mega's digital I/O which I think output 5V as a high voltage. Considering that on page 4, Vinh is 1.7V minimum and Vinl is 0.7 maximum, I am a bit confused whether I can still use Arduino's digital I/O or not with the MUX.

Many thanks in advanced:)

2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    A simple way to match the arduino's 5V outputs to the ADG706's digital inputs is a 1/2 divider. Use a resistive divider from the arduino's output to GND built from e.g. 2*1kΩ resistors. this will reduce the arduino's output swing from 0V...5V to 0V...2.5V, a perfect match for the multiplexer.

Jimbo bob likes this.
  3. Jimbo bob

Jimbo bob

Oct 8, 2014
    Thank you Harald:). It makes sense and it seems that is the best way of going about solving this problem.

Ask a Question