Connect with us

Multiple message voice chips

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by JF Gagnon, Aug 17, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. JF Gagnon

JF Gagnon

Aug 17, 2016
    First of all, let's establish the fact that I work in Finance and have basically no knowledge of electronics. That being said, I have a project of creating a 6-8 inches figurine based on a movie and add some electronics in the base, battery operated, to repeat quotes of the movie at a push of a button. Something like 20 quotes ranging from few seconds (4-5 words) to maybe a minute each. Googling around, I found that ChipCorder chips looks like what I need.

Now the questions:

1) Is ChipCorder the way to go or there is another/better way?
    2) I guess some company can do the work and deliver me a complete board. Any suggestions?

Feel free to let me know anything else I should be taking into consideration.

Thanks

2. Sunnysky

Sunnysky

Jul 15, 2016
    1) Yes
    2) yes
    ChipCorder chips are common and inexpensive with a selector switch.
    But to add a random selector logic will need a microcontroller with custom firmware.
    Development cost is high with 1 prototype.
    I have a mobile phone size board that only does a few short songs AND uses a rotary switch. so too big and no sequencer with pushbutton, but it activates with a hand wave and small power switch.
    Audio quality is poor speaker quality and high compression.

It is possible with deep pockets.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  3. JF Gagnon

JF Gagnon

Aug 17, 2016
    I'm planning to have several thousands of the thing made once I clear the rights to the character so I guess unit cost would be affordable. Meanwhile I'll try to get a plan and build something just to make sure it can be done. I will research what you said about "random selector logic " and "microcontroller". Thanks.

4. Sunnysky

Sunnysky

Jul 15, 2016
    There may be local resources in Montreal who have done this before, but this is my suggestion to contact this authorized distributor inPoland and ask what solution they recommend that is readily available.

http://www.marthel.pl/en/about_marthel.php

The total memory requirements depend on total seconds of recordings at highest quality level. Speaker quality must be done carefully like those in mobiles or iPad. It may be possible to use (2 ) two lithium cells 6.0V or 3 AAA, depending on lifetime of batteries , you expect and minutes of lifetime play.

If you need help in preparing or reviewing a spec, for custom design, I might be able to assist.

They have DIY kits http://www.marthel.pl/en/tools.php?id=1

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  5. JF Gagnon

JF Gagnon

Aug 17, 2016
    Thanks for the help. I will sit down and establish just how much speech time I will need to stick in there and once it's done I'll contact them.

Ask a Question