Connect with us

Multiple grounding points in car infotainment

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by kruskal, Sep 21, 2017.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. kruskal

kruskal

Jan 27, 2017
    I have read that it is beneficial for a circuit to have a single grounding point. In addition to ordinary ground connection, car head units often have active antennas as well. These may be grounded to the car chassis, creating another grounding point for the head unit.

Won't this create a large ground loop for the circuit?

2. Minder

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
    Automotive wiring usually has a number of Star ground points throughout the chassis.
    The negate aspect as to ground loops is when a potential exists between one ground or Common point and another, with a automotive chassis, the mass is usually sufficient that virtually no such difference will exist.
    It is imperative to ensure excellent bonding connection where these star points are made.
    A General exception is the common conductor for the CAN system is often taken directly back to the computer module.
    M.

3. kruskal

kruskal

Jan 27, 2017
    Thanks for the excellent clarification. K

4. GeekGuy

GeekGuy

Apr 7, 2016
  5. Minder

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
    Very good article, a subject I have championed for a while, re the disregard for the correct symbols used for circuit commons etc.
    to quote: "All too often, this symbol appears on circuits that do not connect to the Earth at all"
    The book 'The Art Of Electronics' use the earth ground symbol it throughout as circuit power common.
    M..

6. GeekGuy

GeekGuy

Apr 7, 2016
    Glad you liked the post!

7. Minder

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
    I have watched some of the video lectures by Dr Bruce Archambeault on the subject.
    M.

Attached Files:

8. GeekGuy

GeekGuy

Apr 7, 2016
    Lol, funny!

Ask a Question