Connect with us

Multiple 12V batteries in Parallel

Discussion in 'Power Electronics' started by john2k, Mar 26, 2015.

1. john2k

john2k

Jun 13, 2012
    If i have four 12V 100AH batteries wired in parallel, am I correct in believing that the result will be 12V 400AH? whereas if i was to wire in series, then the result will be 48V 100AH. Is this correct?

Thanks

2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    Ideally: yes.
    In practice there will be differences between the batteries that will allow you to draw a bit less than the expected charge.

Also note that, depending on the batteries' chemistry, you may (or may not) need to provide some kind of charge balancing mechanism when charging batteries in series or in parallel.

Arouse1973 likes this.
  3. john2k

john2k

Jun 13, 2012
    I'm planning to build an array of 12V batteries in parallel to power garden accessories. The battery array will be charged by solar panels. Should i go for deep cycle 12v 100AH batteries?

4. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    If you plan to deep-discharge them: yes.
    If you add a controller that disconnects the loads when the batteries are drained: no need to.

5. Kiwi

Kiwi

Jan 28, 2013
    You must have a lot of garden accessories if you are planning a 400AH battery bank.

Ideally, for maximum battery life, you should use deep cycle batteries instead of ordinary lead acid starting batteries.
    Starting batteries aren't designed to be discharged and recharged too often, so will have a reduced life.

How discharged are the batteries going to be on a regular basis?

Ask a Question