Connect with us

Multimeter Question

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by jamie64, Sep 14, 2017.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. jamie64

jamie64

Sep 14, 2017
    Ive just bought myself a multimeter (tacklife dm06).Ive noticed that the maximum range for testing current is 600ma.Im new to electronics but that sounds low and would limit me on what i could test,any advice would be welcome.

2. Chemelec

Chemelec

Jul 12, 2016
    You could make a Low 0.1 Ohm or 0.01 Ohm, "Shunt Resistor", Than measure the Voltage across it to get a direct readout of the Current flow.

3. Externet

Externet

Aug 24, 2009
    Go back to the store and exchange it for the model that pleases you.

4. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    What are you going to measure? 600 mA are good for 3 W at 5 V operating voltage, often good enough for small electronics projects. Otherwise I agree with Externet. While extending the range with a shunt resistor is possible, this is cumbersome and requires a precision resistor to give useful readings. Plus you always have to juri-rig the setup with the resistor, the meter and some wires.
    It also incurs a risk of electric shock when measuring on higher voltage (mains) lines.

5. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    A multimeter is a tool that you may end up using for many decades and if it's chosen correctly it will return a lifetime of service that you'll be very upset to lose should it go wrong.

Consequently you need to make the right decision from the outset. With even the budget you've used for this particular model there are many, many BETTER meters available - I'm curious as to what your thought processes were when chosing that particular model?

6. dorke

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
    You are correct , 0.6A is very low! and mostly not practical.
    They usually measure up to 10A.
    How much did you pay for it?

7. hevans1944

hevans1944 Hop - AC8NS

Jun 21, 2012
    The time to ask for advice is before you make a purchase decision. Not guaranteed, but usually you will experience less buyer's remorse when you do your due diligence research first.

Were you seduced by all the spiffy "extra features," instead of carefully reviewing the specifications to see if the meter provided the measurement capability you need now rather than capability you might need later? Anything you purchase is always going to limit you on what you could test. Most beginners in electronics don't need an autoranging multimeter, nor a transistor test function, nor a frequency measurement capability, nor a thermocouple or RTD temperature measurement capability, nor a near-field voltage sensing capability, nor a capacitance measuring capability, nor a pseudo-analog meter readout capability. Of all those extra "features" I would pick capacitance measurement ahead of all the rest, but most VOMs with capacitance measurement don't have the range of a dedicated capacitance meter. You might be better off purchasing capacitor (and inductor) measurement capability as a separate instrument.

What you need to begin with is just a basic volt-ohmmeter-milliampere or VOM capability with a large enough range to encompass everything you might want to measure in the near future, including amperes and microamperes of current not just milliamperes. Going with the same vendor, I suggest you look at this model first, the DM-03B. There are some very good reasons for NOT wanting a VOM to autorange, but if you insist that you need it, consider the DM-03 instead of the DM-03B.

Harald Kapp, davenn and Arouse1973 like this.
  8. turbogt16v

turbogt16v

Mar 27, 2015
    I cant upload any pictures by my mobile phone no more, click upload and nothing

Any way, you can buy cheap multimeter on ebay for 3.$

9. Doug3004

Doug3004

Sep 5, 2014
    It depends on what you mainly expect to be working with. Will you need to measure amps very often? I mainly do digital projects and find that it's very rare that I measure the current of anything. Most of the time I'm checking voltage or resistance.

For doing digital projects or troubleshooting, a 600mA meter isn't useless, but is probably not as high as you'd like. Many of the inexpensive digital pen-style meters only read to 200mA.

I'd advise to go buy another cheaper meter that has at least a 10 amp scale. That means you can assume that it will be safe up to 6 or 7 amps. Cheap meters usually aren't built real well to handle measuring high amps, but then, you may not ever have much of a need to do that anyway.

And if you are testing voltage or resistance and you have both meters--then you can check a critical value with two different cheap meters, which is a lot better than checking it with only one cheap meter.

10. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
  11. dorke

dorke

Jun 20, 2015

Let me add,
    Mostly Beginners don't need True RMS meters (They probably don't even know what it means anyways !);)

The main problem with the cheap(Chinese) meters is the build quality of the mechanical selection knob.
    Otherwise they do a fairly good job(for beginners).

These cheap ones can be bought for as less as 3$ on ebay.
    This specific model only goes up to 2Mohms,but it will mostly do for a beginner.

12. jamie64

jamie64

Sep 14, 2017
    thanks for all the good advice from everyone .ill think before i buy next time.

Ask a Question