Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Multimeter Purchase

Oct 9, 2012
I wanted your input on a quality multimeter with the basic measurements of DCV, ACV, Ohms, and Amps. I need it for general projects around the home garage, checking continuity on circuits that type of stuff. I'm at a beginner level so I don't need all the latest features, however I would like to purchase a meter that will last and be dependable. Since you all have experience with this sort of gear let me know some models to consider purchasing. I'd prefer the multimeter NOT be made in China :D .............if that is still possible. Thank you.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
It's getting harder and harder to find multimeters NOT made in China. However, multimeters made by reputable brands should be fine pretty much no matter where they're made.

Are you intending to measure mains power (voltage and/or current)? If so, I'd get something that has probes which allow you to do this safely.

Otherwise, you may find that a cheap $10 meter does all you need for quite a while.

My first meter was *very* cheap (I bought it maybe 30 years ago) and I actually pulled it out and used it again a few days ago when I needed to measure about 6 things at once.

It is certainly possible to do damage if you are using a current range and you connect things incorrectly, and a $10 meter is cheaper to replace than the fuses on some more expensive meters.

If you need something more fancy, you'll be able to buy it (probably for less than $10) when you find you need it.

Expensive meters may be more accurate, have fancy modes an logging, etc.

You know, I'd love to but an all-singing all-dancing Fluke with all the fruit. As it is, I have 2 meters which cost probably less than 20% of the price of my dream meter and they do almost everything between them.

There are special "Chinese market" Fluke's out there (look on eBay). They are good meters, but they suffer in the probe area (safety features mainly).

See here.