Connect with us

multimeter not working

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by ventsyv, Dec 30, 2014.

1. ventsyv

ventsyv

Dec 3, 2014
    I have GE 2524 digital multimeter i haven't used in a few years that won't turn on. I changed the battery and the fuse looks ok.
    The positive terminal on the old battery looked corodded but the battery was not leaking.
    I was wondering if the type of battery i put in matters? The old one was GiCell 6f22 9v super heavy duty, the new one is energizer 9v 522 6LR61-6am6.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  2. ventsyv

ventsyv

Dec 3, 2014
    Nevermind, Wikipedia answered my question, 6f22 is zinc-carbon and 6LR61 is alkaline, other than that they are the same thing as far as i can tell.

3. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    Hi
    welcome to EP :)

so I assume its still not working ?

Dave

4. ventsyv

ventsyv

Dec 3, 2014
    Correct, it's still not working. I'm at a loss, there is not much to it that can break.

5. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    OK ... did you accidentally measure a high current or voltage in the incorrect range ?

open it up and take some sharp and well lit pics of the circuit board and post them here and
    lets see if anything is obviously damaged

6. ventsyv

ventsyv

Dec 3, 2014
    Picture 5 has a smudge that upon closer inspection appears to be some sort of epoxy like substance.
    This is the back side of the bottom left corner of picture #2
    https://www.dropbox.com/sc/gi8lcg2it2xgrgv/AAAvPXWReaJNcdLdXB7T-kvZa

Other than that nothing stands out.

I've not used it in years and before that I only used it a few times, I doubt I measured anything high current, though I can't rule it out, I'm pretty much a newbie when it comes to electronics.

7. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    Hi
    if you are referring to the smudge on the upper left of pic4 and lower left of pic 5
    that's just some solder flux

I don't see any other obvious problems ... cooked components
    do you have another multimeter ? ... you need to measure some things....
    firstly the voltage of the new battery --- it may be flat
    with the battery plugged in you need to measure the voltage at the red and black wires at the circuit board end and make sure there is 9V there
    You need to Ohms test the fuse and make sure it has continuity

there's first few tests you really must do :)

Dave

8. ventsyv

ventsyv

Dec 3, 2014
    I wish I had another one... I shorted the battery (put a screwdriver across the terminals) and there was a small spark. It's a brand new battery I ordered it maybe 6 months ago. The other ones went in my smoke detectors, this is the last one. I guess I'll ask my friends if anyone has a meter, and I'll by some extra 9Vs, never hurts to have spares.

9. ventsyv

ventsyv

Dec 3, 2014
    OK, I'm getting 9V from the battery and the fuse appears to be OK - measured 0.8 ohms, which I assume is the correct resistance. I got another multimeter but I would like to find out what's wrong with this one. (I'm trying to learn electronics).
    Any suggestions where to look next? Maybe the display is not working?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  10. KJ6EAD

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
    You need to make sure the 9V is getting to the board. Don't underestimate the deleterious effects of corroded battery contacts.

11. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    You said there was some corrosion on one of the battery contacts even though the battery wasn't leaking. I'm wondering if the meter was stored in an atmosphere that that allowed oxidation of contacts
    inside the meter. If the display is an LCD, my first guess would be the contacts to the LCD itself (need cleaning). Is this an LCD o LED display?

Ask a Question