Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Multimeter help

MasonSheppard

Mar 13, 2018
Hey I need some help with this project I’m starting. It measures light and converts it to a voltage which we can plot in software. Currently we use hp multimeters connected via gpib. I want to know how to make a mini voltmeter circuit that is gpib connected that can go inside the box. By the way it needs to be gpib as of the software

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Welcome to EP.

GPIB, eh? GPIB is a rather old and no longer very commonly used interface. Superseeded by USB or Ethernet.
Anyway. What I find is heaps of utilities (hardware and software) to connect a PC or microcontroller to a vintage GPIB based instrument. I haven't been able to locate the same in the reverse direction (aka build you own GPIB based device).
Therefore the easisest way is to stick with your existing GPIB based instrument.

Another solution would use a virtual GPIB instreument (a piece of software) that translates GPIB commands to e.g. USB based commands for a modern instrument. Follow this link.

The most inexpensive solution (in my opinion) is to use an inexpensice multimeter with USB (or RS232) interface and re-writethe software to deal with this instrument.

I understand that this answer is not exactly what you're looking for. I'm afraid there is no miniature solution available - as far as I know.