Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Multi Video game connection

Siker

Jul 23, 2017
Hey guys. I want to start a project where i can hook up all the video games to one input cord, and to switch consoles by clicking the button. So basically, a splitter that i plan to build into a desk.

So my background with electronics are limited. I just started in maintence in a factory, and i will be going to school for electro maint.

What should i look into to start this project.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
1. List all the video specifications of the games machines
2. List the video inputs of your display device

You aren't looking to make a 'splitter' - you are looking to make a 'switcher'

Siker

Jul 23, 2017
Hmm okay. i will have to look into what im looking to do. i know that the xbox uses an HDMI cord, while the other systems have the red, white, yellow plugs (sorry idk what they are called)

Im not sure how to find the video game specs... sorry.

Im not planning on doing this anytime soon.. im gonna wait a bit to get better knowledge on electrical at school/work.

I plan to take apart the little "switcher" to see what they do, and incorporate that into my plan if possible.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
The Red, Yellow and White plugs are composite video (with audio) and a totally different signal than that created over HDMI. Unless you have a monitor that can accept a multitude of different signal types (some modern TV sets actually do) then you'll have to convert the signals to a single standard that your monitor CAN accept.

As stated though, a decent TV set will accept composite, HDMI, VGA and SCART - possibly more - which would cater for all your gaming signal needs and all you'd have to do is use the TV remote to select the required signal source.

Worst case you'll need to convert only one of your gaming sources to one that a TV could accept.

Problem solved....

Siker

Jul 23, 2017
True. I only have one system as of now that has hdmi. But I have like 5 or 6 systems with the composite cords. So I don't want to have to unplug the correct system in. I had a switcher which worked but I figured that building on into the custom desk that I'm going to build would be a fun thing to do.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Switching between composite signals is easy - you can even use a multi-pole rotary (or push-button) switch to do this.

you could also purchase a composite switcher:

http://www.hdtvsupply.com/cosw1.html

If you also purchase a Composite Video-to-HDMI converter like one of these:

http://www.hdtvsupply.com/cotohdco1.html

you're set to go.

Note that the converters linked to are composite-to-HDMI whilst many cheaper converters are labelled as such but are the OPPOSITE i.e convert HDMI to Composite so take care when ordering.

Last edited: