Connect with us

Multi-Tap Transformer .

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Electric Al, Jul 1, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Electric Al

Electric Al

Jan 16, 2014
    I have a multi-tap transformer , 120 volt primary and 2 , 4 , 8 , 12 , 16 , 20 , 24 volt secondary.

This may sound like a dumb question , but how can I change the secondary voltages to D C .

Will I have to install diodes for each secondary voltage , or is there a better way ?

Like I said , this may be a dumb question !

Please advise !

Thanks in advance !

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    To change an AC voltage to a DC voltage, you need a rectifier and a filter (typically a capacitor).

The DC you get this way isn't very good, nor very stable. Depending what you want to do, you might need a regulator, or possibly an adjustable regulator (if you ant continuously variable DC voltage).

What are you trying to do? That information will help us suggest a solution.

3. Electric Al

Electric Al

Jan 16, 2014

I was going to use the transformer as a power supply for projects . I guess it is not a good idea !

It is likely more trouble than it is worth .Thanks for the quick response !

4. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    A lot depends on what your projects require.

If it's just a rough voltage (e.g. to save on the need for batteries), then a bridge rectifier and a decently large capacitor may be sufficient.

As long as you make sure that the mains can't be touched by anyone, then the secondary voltages are safe. A 50V or higher bridge rectifier and 1000 to 4700 μF of capacitance (rated at 50V or higher) would work for any tap you use.

5. Electric Al

Electric Al

Jan 16, 2014
    Thank you , I will locate the components from scrap , and try it !

I think I will install them in a separate enclosure or install a selector switch , so that I can use the AC or DC..

Ask a Question