Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Multi output power supply

sleberboti

Jan 18, 2018
Hi everyone!

I'm looking for a substitute solution for supplying three separate devices from one power supply. Now, each one has its own power supply.
The requirements are the following, 5V 20A; 12V 1A max; 19V 5A from three outputs. I looked at many power supply reseller, but I haven't found anything optimal for my aims.
There is one idea, which could be working, I buy a ATX PC power supply, it has the power more than enough, and it has outputs of 5 and 12 volts. To have the 19V output I'd use a 12->19V dc-dc boost converter.
Would this soultion work?
Any other simpier, feasible idea?

Thanks for all the responses

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
If the separate devices can use a common negative rail then I'd agree with the ATX solution. Being a purist (or 'anal' as most would call me) I'd rewind the SMPS transformer for the correct outputs!

There are many Chinese resellers of power converter modules but get one that is well in excess (power wise) of your actual requirements given the Chinese propensity for over-estimating efficiencies.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
I'd rewind the SMPS transformer for the correct outputs!
I disagree. This requires some expertise to ensure the transformer is still safe after rewinding. It may also require some modification in th eoutput circuit (e.g. use of capacitors with higher voltage rating etc.).
If you have to ask the question in the first place, you're sure not proficient enough for this kind of modification. As in this case we deal with lethal mains voltages I'm sorry bat I have to disencourage @sleberboti from doing this.
The 12 V -> 19 V DC/DC boost converter is the safe solution here.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
I was quite clear on such a method being MY choice, not a recommendation.
I'm sorry, it may be due to my not being a native speaker, but I took it as a recommendation.
In German it is customary to express a recommendation using an expression like "I'd do it this or that way"