Maker Pro
Maker Pro

MTI Research Inc. CONAC system

Nabla1

Feb 20, 2012
Hi all,

Didn't know where to put this post, so apologies in advance if it's in the wrong place.

I've been scouring the internet for a laser based positioning system called CONAC (Computerized Optoelectronic Navigation and Control) and the company that makes them (MTI Research Inc.), but I can't find either anywhere.

I found out about the system from this link:

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...8pG_Bw&usg=AFQjCNGgjZJCF5xfr2HCimXXb-705EZPqg

(Pages 16 -19 of pdf)

I'm very interested in finding out more information about such a system, but it is as though the company and product not longer exist at all. I'm not sure if the company and/or product have changed names, and perhaps that's why I can't find them, or whether maybe the company/product has terminated.

Alternatively, does anyone know of any equivalent commercial laser based positioning systems with equivalent specification and price?

Perhaps someone here has came across this before in researching such systems?

timothy48342

Nov 28, 2011
Your PDF says MTI is on littleton in Chelmsford, MA, but Yellow pages has a listing for MTI Research, Inc located in Westford, MA
http://www.yellowpages.com/westford-ma/mip/mti-research-inc-467799602
Chelmsford and Westford are only 6 miles apart, so maybe it moved.

There is a CONAC corp in Walpole, MA about 50 miles away. Don't know if it is connected. Can't seem to get any more info about either.

Here is another PDF that mentions CONAC. Unfortunately it says the same thing almost word for word. However the rest of the document is different. Also, it has phone numbers and e-mails for the authors at the botom of the first page. A phone number and address for MTI in footnote #46. (Although the Yellow Pages is different and probably more current.)

But this whole paper is talking about the same general topic. That is robot positioning systems. Since it copies the text of the other document almost word for word, maybe it has 1 or more authors in common with the one from your pdf.

Maybe the same guys are working on similar projects.
Here is the pdf:
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~johannb/Papers/paper64.pdf
Here is the authors contact info from page 1:
CUTNPASTE:
J. Borenstein(1), H.R. Everett(2), L. Feng(3), and D. Wehe(4)

1) (Corresponding Author) The University of Michigan, Advanced Technologies Lab, 1101 Beal Avenue,
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2110, Ph.: 313-763-1560, Fax: 313-944-1113. Email: [email protected]
2) Naval Command, Control, and Ocean Surveillance Center, RDT&E Division 5303, 271 Catalina
Boulevard, San Diego, CA 92152-5001, Email: [email protected]
3) The University of Michigan, Advanced Technologies Lab, 1101 Beal Avenue, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-
2110, Email: [email protected]
4) The University of Michigan, Dept. of Nuclear Engineering and Radiological Sciences, 239 Cooley
Bldg., Ann Arbor, MI 48109, Email: [email protected]
:endCUTNPASTE

Note number 2. "Naval Command, Control, and Ocean Surveillance Center" sounds very much like what CONAC was all about.

Good luck,
--tim
Edit: I think the website removed their emails, but the pdf has them. :endEdit

Last edited: