Connect with us

Moving up the chain?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Members Lounge' started by GreenGiant, Feb 20, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. GreenGiant

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
    As many of you know I worked for a large scale battery company, in the R&D deparment for lithium batteries. I was only a Senior Engineering Technician doing almost nothing to do with electronics, or anything I went to school for.

So up until friday of last week this was true, I'm now working for a Biological storage company (we make huge freezers that store biological samples as evidence, or for later use, etc) Im working for the electrical department of R&D here,so it has moved to a much more familiar area. My title has also improved, I'm now a full on Electrical Engineer (one of the main reasons I took the job over the loyalty I heald to my first one). The pay increase isn't as large as I thought it would be but its still the title that I wanted (well almost, Electronics Engineer would be better but still, I'm an engineer).

As a result I may not be able to get on here as much for the time being, I will try to get on and add my 2 cents to posts here and there as I can (especially when it'll rile up CocaCola or KrisBlueNZ :p)

Any advice for me now that I have been out of school for almost a year and have already achieved the rank of Engineer?

Also any book recommendations for learning C# and for maintaining knowledge of C++ would be great (need both as well as visual basic for this job, though I already have a book for VB)

Green

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Congratulations, but remember, you are an engineer because of your knowledge and the way you approach a task, not because of the title you have.

But it's nice to have the title :)

3. GreenGiant

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
    Thanks Steve, I know its all about knowledge and approach, I just need to reaquire and expand my knowledge. It is definitely nice to have the title, it commands significantly more respect than technician, not that I have a problem with technicians, not at all, its just nice to be the respected one for once.

4. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    If this is to be your career, continue to search for a company that will let you mature and grow as the years go by, dead end jobs are no fun unless they constantly challenge you...

5. GonzoEngineer

GonzoEngineer

Dec 2, 2011
    My experience has been that the best Engineers started out as Technicians.:D

6. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    And the best technicians remained technicians their entire working lives.
    Like me.

7. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    hear hear !! ;)

Dave

8. CDRIVE

CDRIVE Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3

May 8, 2012
    Congratulations! Loving your work is a billion times more important than your new title though. Nothing is more torturous for creative mind than an unchallenging job. ;) Did you get a white lab coat with the title? :D

Chris

Ask a Question