Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Mouth Light

Tmas

Oct 16, 2013
Hey guys!

My name is Thomas, this is actually my first post.

I have a question about something, it has become somewhat of a quest.

I love the band Rammstein, in the music video Ich Tu Dir Weh, the singer has a light IN his mouth.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.shoutcastblog.com/media/2010/02/ich-tu-dir-weh.jpg

Now, on this picture you can clearly see there´s a wire going through his cheek in order to get this light buring so bright.

But here´s the interesting part, a Rammstein cover/band does the same trick, but without the wire! So he has the entire light-system in his mouth.

http://www.kreiszeitung.de/bilder/2010/12/06/1035196/282723992-341_008_1854048_gvz_6594_1-1A09.jpg

And it's still amazingly bright.

So now I'm looking to make a similar thingy, a little DIY project if you will.
It doesn't have to burn long, 5 minutes or something is fine, I'll just change the battery a lot of times! :p

The problem is, I have no idea how to do this, I've got some basic electro-skills, and know how to hold a soldering iron, but that's about it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Laplace

Apr 4, 2010
Recommend you experiment with super-bright white 1-watt LEDs. For a power source, maybe a small lithium battery such as a CR123A. Or consider using a flesh-core transformer with the primary as a necklace and the secondary coil in the mouth under the tongue. Choose a frequency equal to that used for induction heating stoves. Presumably magnetic fields at that frequency have been checked to not electrically scramble one's brain. Not too much, anyway.

Tmas

Oct 16, 2013
beautiful website name: flashingblinkylights :p

I might be able to buy one of their product, take it apart and make my own version, because, looking at these pictures, I think you actually have to keep your yaws clenched together to hold it in place.

and about that 1 W super-bright white LEDs, I'm curious about their brightness when hooked up to a small battery, the CR123A looks rather big, especially when you have to walk around with that thing in your mouth, the battery I was thinking about using was the cr2032, of which you could (if you had to) put a lot in your mouth.

but again, I'm curious about the possible brightness.

My plan:
Buy a Mouthguard, make it fit rather tight around the molars, and cut away the front part.
Buy a Coin-cell holder: http://www.modeltrainsoftware.com/3v.html
Buy the cr2032 battery
Buy a LED (possibly 2) that burns amazingly bright with that battery.

Then get a glue-gun, and seal it al in properly, hopefully being able to replace the battery when needed.

But I don't know if it's possible (and if it is, how?) to make a LED burn bright on such a small battery.

Is this possible, and if so, how? and which would be the brightest LED for the job?

Btw: you mention a flesh-core transformer, I have no idea what that is, could you explain it using layman-terms?

Thank you guys for your quick response!

Laplace

Apr 4, 2010
Recommend that before you put much work into a mouth mount, get a battery & LED combination that will provide sufficient lumens and operating time to be acceptable. My guess would be that a CR2032 battery would power a 20 mA LED but not a 1-watt LED that needs 300 mA. Also, a white LED needs about 3.6 volts so trying to operate it with a 2-cell battery (3 volt) needs a switching mode power module to increase the voltage. Or use 3 cells, but this may not be an option if space is tight.

I remember the hardware store has (or used to have) 1-watt LED replacement bulbs for ordinary 2-cell flashlights, and the power management module was built into the bulb itself. I'd try to find one of those for this project.

Flesh-core: For AC power transformers the coils are wound on an iron core. High frequency transformers use a ferrite core. Specialty instrument transformers might have a non-magnetic core (air-core). So a transformer coil wound around one's neck could be called flesh-core. :D

Tmas

Oct 16, 2013
a replacement bulb, that sounds big :p

I don't think 3 cells would be a problem.

but to make a long story short:

I need a 1 Watt LED in order to get the some proper brightnes I reckon.
so I guess I need a battery (plus system) as small as possible.

How about this kind of battery? (might be a little big, but you get the idea)

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=17808

What am I looking for?

1 Watt super-bright LED?
Cell that has 3.6 V and 300 mA?
By combining multiple cells I only increase the Voltage, right?
If I use multiple cells, do I need other electronics?

The Flesh-Core transformer technique is still beyond me :p maybe I need a schematic.

Maybe a schematic would be a good idea for the complete mouth-piece?