Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Motorcycle stop/turn/tail

Chuck M

Sep 12, 2017
I have LED modules installed that have a ring of red LEDs around the outside and cluster of amber LEDs in the center. The modules have separate wires for turn, tail and stop. I would like the tail and stop function to be interrupted during turn signal operation and am looking for the simplest circuit to accomplish this. I will need to build one of these for right side and one for left side and have limited room for installation. The turn flash rate is about .7 sec.

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
For safety, I trust you have a bright brake light independent of the other tail and brake (stop) light.
You could use a relay that would disable the tail (running) and brake (stop) wires every time the turn signal flashes.
If you wanted to be a little more elaborate you could use P channel mosfets to do the same.

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
20170912_235655-1.jpg You can do it with one relay if you use steering diodes. Also note blocking diode across relay coil.
Stop and tail lights from left and right can be tied together.
Forgive my sideways sketch.

Chuck M

Sep 12, 2017
Yes I do have a main center brake/tail light that is independent. I was thinking of using a solid state dpst nc relay and a timing circuit to keep it activated between turn signal flashes. I haven't found a source for the relay yet.
Something like this:

untitled.png

Last edited:

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Thanks Dorke.

@Chuck M:
Yes, something likely that would work.

You could use that or any off-delay timer circuit inserted just before the relay in my sketch. I'm not good at figuring the time duration, but I assume you'd need to lower the value of the 470k resistor to give you a shorter time delay. 1 to 2 seconds would probably be ideal. Try adding a trimmer pot to the circuit so you can fine tune the duration. I would also add a voltage regulator ahead of the circuit.

I haven't seen an off the shelf off-delay timer relay that is DPDT but you could alway modify the oem relay provided the coil resistance is the same.

Chuck M

Sep 12, 2017
Thank you for the help, have ben doing some research and have found a solid state dpst-nc relay. Just have to do the math on the resistor and capacitor values. Planning on using this basic circuit:
simple delay timer circuit.png