Connect with us

Motor Unit operation

Discussion in 'Sensors and Actuators' started by j0npae, May 27, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. j0npae

j0npae

May 22, 2012
    So I want to know if at all possible, how to limit the amount of voltage that a motor unit receives from a standard wall outlet. Specifically a motor that requires 14 watts. Also, whether or not limiting the voltage would slow down the RPM of 3600 to let's say 1800.

This motor is going to be used in a filter for an aquarium.

Thanks in advance to whoever responds!

2. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    I do not know the standard which you have but assume that if the motor runs at 3600 RPM that you are in Japan or America and have a 60 Hz supply.

Shaded pole motor which are very inefficient and often used to drive fans (where the torque drops when speed drops) can be controlled with a simple lamp dimmer.

If you have an induction motor, the losses rise if the voltage is dropped, possibly burning out the motor.

The best way of reducing the speed is to use a varying voltage and frequency source (expensive) such as is used to control the speed of modern lathes.

Could you just gear the pump down by a factor of two?

3. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    You reduce the voltage, using one of several methods... Generally a wallwart or transformer...

Certainly possible...

Maybe...

Is this motor rated for lines voltage and running off it directly? If so and all you want to do is adjust the speed just get a cheap light dimmer they can handle in excess of several hundred Watts... This assumes a brushed AC motor, a little harder with an inductive motor...

My advice is to get a different motor that is better suited to the job...

** Edit post crossed paths with Duke37...

4. j0npae

j0npae

May 22, 2012
    Okay so the company that created the motor finally responded. They told me that it is a Synchronous brushless motor. And it seems a synchronous motor is the opposite of an induction motor. So, I am guessing I cannot use a light dimmer because it is an AC motor?

5. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    A synchronous motor runs at the frequency of the AC power (or a divisor of it), hence the 3600 RPM whish is equivalent to 60Hz. You cannot slow this down except by changing the input frequency, so that is a no-go.

Bob

Ask a Question