Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Motor type?

onebigfellah

Nov 8, 2012
Hey everyone,

I have a motor that needs to be identified...I am trying to put a VFD on it, but the motor has to be the correct type to work with it...

Please see the attached photo of the motor schematic...

If any more photos are needed please let me know.

Attachments

• IMG_4402.jpg
    IMG_4402.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 199

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I can't think of anything on the ID plate that is missing.
What type of motor do you think you need for your VFD?

onebigfellah

Nov 8, 2012
Well, I think it is a Permanent Split Capacitor motor...which is one type of motor that can work with the VFD that I am looking at...

The other type of motor that will work is a Shaded Pole...which I don't believe this is...

The VFD is not compatible with basically any other type of motor...

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Your motor ID plate says it's a 'Single Phase Asynchronous Motor for Air conditioning'.
Typically, an Asynchronous Motor is a slip-ring rotor, or Squirrel-cage rotor.
So it's not Split Cap or Shaded Pole.
The other issue is whether or not your VFD is single-phase or three-phase.
I think you need to do some Googling.
I'd start with the manufacturer of the VFD, and start checking is's specs and recommended
drive motor.
Good luck.

onebigfellah

Nov 8, 2012
Yeaaaah...the VFD manufacturer doesn't know...I've already been down that road.

The VFD is for single phase.

The other issue is that the motor manufacturer has not gotten back to me with any answers...and their website is broken.

I have already tried "Googling" and it ended me up here...which apparently isn't going to help me much more than what I have found already.

Y2KEDDIE

Sep 23, 2012
Another issue you need to be concerned with: when using a motor with a VFD is cooling the motor. Most motors used with VFD's are Inverter rated/duty. This means theyhave higher winding insulation rating and when operating at a reduced speed the integral fan moves enough air to cool the motor.
My experience with VFD have been to convert single phase to 3 phase. I used them to run air compressors and pumps allowing a soft (slow speed) start. the 3 phase motors are a lot smaller physically for the same horsepower.

I could't make out the diagram as to see if there was an internal centrifugal switch to disconnect the capacitor once the motor is up to speed. (Capacitor start). In that case, the motor may not get up to speed to activate the switch resulting in overheating the start winding.

If the capacitor is in the circuit all the time it is a capacitor- run motor.

In cooling applications it's sometimes easier to use controlled louvers rather than change the speed of the blower.

Last edited: