Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Motor timer.

Warboys

Apr 6, 2020
Hi i'm completely new to circuits and everything alike. Im trying to make a project that turns a motor both directions at a set time for a set time.
For example:
At 8am the motor will run clockwise for 15 seconds (to open)
At 8pm to motor will run Anti-Clockwise for 15 seconds to close.

Ive currently set up as the motor -> rocker switch -> Usb Power source
If you able to help me i would greatly appreciate it!

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Arduino microcontroller is probably the simplest and cheapest way to go but you will need to learn how to code the sketch.
These devices were made for such things.

You could use hardware timers and time delay modules etc but I doubt you would follow the requirements.

First you need to get the motor running forward and reverse with 2 different signals into a h bridge circuit, whether hardware or software controlled.

If hardware controlled, then a 12v dc programmable timer off Ebay set for your 8am and 8pm switching times.
Periods for the time would need to be just a little more than your total switching cycle time.

Then you can add a couple of interlocked 555 delay timer modules which switch instantly at power up.
Interlock arrangement is the tricky bit.

Last edited:

Warboys

Apr 6, 2020
Just looked at Arduino Microcontroller and it went completely over my head, Looking at the hardware side of things i think i understand what you mean.
Would it be:
Power > Timer > H bridge > 555 delay timer > Motor?
If so how would the H bridge know when to put it into one direction or the other?

Thanks

Warboys

Apr 6, 2020
Ok thanks ill try and give it ago,
What H bridge would i need to get so i knows when to open and when to close?