Connect with us

Motor project

Discussion in 'Sensors and Actuators' started by SB0202022, Feb 16, 2012.

1. SB0202022

SB0202022

Oct 27, 2010
    Ok so I have a small project I would like to do that I have some questions I would like answered. Im building a project with a 220 volt small dc motor, and I want to literally power this thing straight from the wall. I have limited knowledge on the subject, and I looking at online guides has provided little light to me.

1. I know that you have to rectify the voltage from AC to DC from the wall sockect to the motor, but how do I plan on amplifying the voltage from my little 120vac to 6.3 volt dc transformer to a 220 volt motor? And my understanding on current is very small, how do I determine the current avaible from the wall and how much power this motor is going to use?

2. I have the tools, but not the knowledge. I was searching online for ways to amplify voltage, and I came across something called a "cascade voltage amplifier". Does this amplify voltage, but reduce current? And how would the motor work if their was little current and a lot of voltage?(is that even possible?

2. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    I think we'll need some additional clarifications of the hardware for starters:
    1: what type of motor is it (permanent magnet/ universal/ aynchronous)?
    2: what are the spec's of the motor (V, A, W, rpm, hp, etc.)?
    3: what are the spec's of the transformer (VA rating etc.)?
    4: what is your mains voltage?

A cascode voltage amplifier is not what you want. It's something akin to your stereo. It needs a power supply and a control signal.
    A motor needs a specific minimum curent in order to overcome its friction and turn.
    The wire gauge it's wound with determines voltage and current, like in a transformer.

3. jackorocko

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
    go ahead and answer resquelines questions. As we will need them. But you need a step-up transformer. depending on how much current you need at 220V will determine how much input current you will need on the transformer. This will tell us how big the transformer will need be etc.

4. SB0202022

SB0202022

Oct 27, 2010
  5. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    forget about the transformer you have, as Jackorocko hinted at you need a step up transformer ie. 110(120) up to 220V

other Q's tho.....

1) why do you need a 220V motor, cant a 120V one do ?
    2) why do you even need one of those hi voltage motors, cant a small DC motor do ?

you are giving us very little information on what you are trying to achieve
    I REALLY REALLY hope you have some long term experience with hi voltage
    else your project and your live may well be short lived

Dave

Ask a Question