Connect with us

Motor for moving head

Discussion in 'Sensors and Actuators' started by uDaeth, Sep 12, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. uDaeth

uDaeth

Sep 12, 2013
    I need to build a moving head for a homecoming float. Think of the Pacman head. It's for the most part two half circles that come together when Pacman chomps. I'm going to be building a head with pretty much the same design, just narrower.

My question is, what kind of motor should I look for, and what additional parts, to make the chomping action happen on a continuous loop?

2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    hi there
    welcome :)

the size/power of the motor would depend on what the head is made of and how heavy it is
    since you haven't commented on that ... a bit difficult to advise you

Dave

3. uDaeth

uDaeth

Sep 12, 2013
    Going to make it out of thin plywood. Not as concerned about power right now. Just need an idea of what motors and parts I need to make it happen so I can get a general ballpark of how much this is going to cost.

4. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    The power required will determine the minimum size of motor.

I suggest you have some idea of the torque required before you choose a motor.

I would consider using a geared motor to drive a cam which actuates the chomper. By careful balanging you can minimise the mass that is lifted and ensure that it falls again under gravity.

5. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun So long, and Thanks for all the Fish!

Aug 27, 2013
    I would suggest making your moving parts from foam (available in 4x8 sheets from 1/2in to 2" in thickness from your favorite building supply center), this will greatly reduce the requirements for your motors. If a constant speed is good, then an AC gear motor is a great choice for places with access to AC. A DC gear motor or a stepper motor is a good choice for applications where AC is not available, or speed variation is important.

Estimated cost? $5 to $5k, you haven't supplied enough information for anything closer than that.

Fish

Ask a Question