Connect with us

Motor for art work

Discussion in 'Sensors and Actuators' started by jmw505, Oct 27, 2009.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. jmw505

jmw505

Oct 27, 2009
    I need to find out what type of slow-spinning motor I would need to spin a pedestal on which a piece of art i'm showing will sit upon. The weight of the piece is only about 4 lbs, so it doesn't need to be anything massive. I would prefer if the motor could plug in to the wall, but if batteries can work if thats my only option, The rpm I need is very very very slow, about 10-20 rpm. (if there are adjustable motors or stepper-motors of this sort could these work too?)

Over all I have no clue where i can find something like this or find someone who can help me arrive at the best choice for my application. If anyone can point me in a helpful direction or give me some useful information it'd be greatly appreciated!

-Jarred Walters

2. cj_elec_tech

cj_elec_tech

Oct 7, 2009
    Hi Jarred.
    You could try the motor unit from a microwave oven - these run on mains power (plug it into the wall) and have a gearbox fitted. There are a few different rotation speeds available, usually from about 1/2 to 4 RPM. The ones I've seen usually turn Clockwise (when looking at the shaft end) but I have seen some counter-clockwise units too.
    You can't reverse their direction electrically, but if you were to connect an intermediate gear, that should do the trick.
    Another option is ebay - I've seen rotating display 'boxes' which are LED lit (rip that out if unneeded). They weren't too expensive, as I recall.

Hope this helps, let us know how you go.

CJ

Ask a Question