Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Motor Driven Focuser

p1taylor

Jun 24, 2012
Hi all, I am very new to this, what I am trying to do is drive my telescope focuser with a Epson EM-483 Stepper Motor, have all the electrics out of printer, what I would like to do is have 2 push buttons 1 forward and 1 revers, do not need it connected to computer option would be OK.

peter

p1taylor

Jun 24, 2012
Hi, I have bean Reading a lot, the stepper motor I have is bipolar 4 wires 1and 3=3.4hom, 2and 4 3.4 hom any other is infinite as fare as I can tell it bipolar, so I need to do micro steps to give about 3000 or 4800 steps per rev so what do I need to get this, am lost in electronics, as fare as I see it do I go for 2 H-Bridge L293D or what, found what may be beter motor 28YB-48 stepper motor, if you need any more inf just let me know,

peter

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
are you going to be using a microcontroller to control the stepper motor?
or do you have a some ICs that are going to pulse correctly for it?

If you want it to be more accurate you may be better off trying to use a servo, these can increment in tiny amounts and many can spin any number of times

p1taylor

Jun 24, 2012
Hi, This may be silly but what is a microcontroller, do not have any ic, will a servo have power to do job, engineering is simple electronics I am lost, if I have a diagram can do it.

peter

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
How were you planning on turning the stepper motor?
Unless the ones that you are looking at have a controller board with them that you can control the speed with you need some form of control circuitry or programming through a microcontroller.

A microcontroller is technically a small IC that can be programmed to do many different things based on inputs, timing, and outputs.

Servos range from very weak to extremely powerful, as do stepper motors, but to focus a telescope it shouldnt take a very powerful one, just something with high accuracy (the more common servos are accurate to 1 degree typically, but they come accurate down to 1/10 of a degree as far as I have seen, though they do get more expensive.

mostafa_naderi

Jun 7, 2012
How much torque do you need? (force for Rotation)
If your knowledge of electronics is low you can use step motor driver
this driver is more Expensive but ready for use
if you want to make i can help you ...for programing and make pcb

p1taylor

Jun 24, 2012
Hi GG, As you say with some control circuit, I was hoping someone had don this before and will let me use there diagram, bean doing a lot of reading about this found a ideal motor + gear box which dos 4096 steps / rev, so all I need is driver, have power supply gives 5.6 volt and 42.3 volt, relay hope some one can help.

peter

p1taylor

Jun 24, 2012
How much torque do you need? (force for Rotation)
If your knowledge of electronics is low you can use step motor driver
this driver is more Expensive but ready for use
if you want to make i can help you ...for programing and make pcb

Thank you very much for your kind offer I would really appreciate it, I Don't need much torque Crayford focuses are very free, what I have found so fare is a L298 stepper motor driver, 28YB-48 motor + gearbox at 4096 steps/rev not to dear but I will need 2 sets, one for Meade RCX 10" to be run from Maxim and focusmax, the other the guide scope just on 2 buttons one in the other out, in a lot of ways I would like to mack it, if you need any more info let me know.

peter

p1taylor

Jun 24, 2012
Meade RCX 10" is main telescope, guide scope is a William Optics ZS 80 mm II ED.

peter

p1taylor

Jun 24, 2012
Hi, I found this stepper motor driver A4988 it can microstep in 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 and 1/16 plus has voltage and current regulation, do you think it will drive 28YB-48 stepper motor or the Epsom EM- 483 I have.

peter

Last edited: