Connect with us

MOTOR CONTROL /Satellite Control

Discussion in 'Sensors and Actuators' started by Isa, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Isa

Isa

Oct 24, 2012
    Hello

I am new and appriciate as much help as i can recieve.

I am doing a project and i need alot of help and ideas

what i want to do is to build and design a miniture version of satellite control

by this i mean one motor to rotate 360 degrees and another motor to rotate 90 degrees to elevate the satellite dish.

i have been thinking of using stepper motors as i have researched and they are good for position control but i have also heard that they do not rotate 360 degrees clockwise and anti clockwise.... this is a requirement i need of both motors . i need help on choosing right type of motors and a microcontroller to control. i was thinking of using a pic and use assembly or flowcode to programme .

the end product of my project is to be able to enter the desired degrees of rotation and elevation on a keypad and for it to also display it on an LCD and wala motors move to them entered degrees

also i would like the motors to have feedback so if moved out of position by say wind or my finger ..they would rotate back to position i have set on them

I GLADDLY APPRICIATE ANY OPINIONS AND IDEAS

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME ....

2. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Steppers will go forward and backward a full 360, so will servos if you mod them...

3. Isa

Isa

Oct 24, 2012
    how would i get them to do 1 degrees a step instead of 1.8 degrees

4. Raven Luni

Raven Luni

Oct 15, 2011
    Gears :)

5. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Half steps if it is bipolar.

Bob

6. penfold

penfold

Oct 24, 2012
    Stepper motors are very good for open-loop control applications. The do have the limitations that they are not necessarily geared up (please excuse the pun) for continuous (movement between steps). (powerful steppers are also expensive)

If you don't have the definite requirement for open-loop control, you could use a geared down DC motor and a multi-turn potentiometer (or one that goes a full 360 degrees at least) for feedback - would make a nice project. An RC servo motor could be used but wheres the fun in using something off the shelf!

Ask a Question