Connect with us

Motion detection kit from Active Surplus?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by moeburn, Jul 31, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. moeburn

moeburn

Jun 25, 2012
    Anyone here from Toronto? Been to Active Surplus in the past 20 years? They've been selling these motion detector kits since as long as I can remember. My dad bought me one 11 years ago for my very first electronics project when I was 13 years old. THAT one came in a box, with instructions.

So I stepped into AS the other day, and they're still selling them! But no box, no instructions, and I cannot for the life of me remember which pads are for what.

I think it only needs 4 connections; V+, V-, and two lines for a speaker. It does all the rest using the included 5 capacitors, and the motion detection is done using that IC+lens combo on the right there.

I just thought MAYBE someone here happened to have been to AS, and happened to have bought the same kit, AND just so happens to remember how to build it? :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Yeah, I have one of them and I even have some documentation I think... I think it's actually in PDF form.

I'll try do dig it up later today.

3. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    The chip is a ULN-2232A

Googling for that gives you some leads, but I suspect the page you want is this one.

I have 2 files on my server at home, but I can't easily fetch them from here. I'll try to remember when I'm back at home.

4. moeburn

moeburn

Jun 25, 2012
    Awesome, that will work just fine, thank you so much!

I wonder what the product that these PCBs were designed for actually looks like. Especially what that set of circular traces on the bottom is.

5. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    OK, try these...

Attached Files:

Ask a Question