Connect with us

Motherboard Power

Discussion in 'Power Electronics' started by Mittle, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Mittle

Mittle

Jan 8, 2018
    I need to figure out how to power an atx motherboard with batteries. I'm trying to create a laptop but I don't want to use a laptop motherboard because they have a lot of stuff I don't need for this project.

2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    there are ATX power supplies that will run off batteries I have used them in the past .....

I cant find my source at the moment, you will have to do some searching

That needs substantial clarification

Dave

3. Mittle

Mittle

Jan 8, 2018
    To be more accurate I'm trying to shove the contents of an extremely efficient desktop computer into a briefcase and mount a monitor inside of the lid. I just need to figure out how to power it

4. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    OK so a laptop board would be a much better solution aye

So ? ...what's the problem ? .... just ignore those bits, don't use them

Dave

5. Mittle

Mittle

Jan 8, 2018
    Final verdict is that I need to find a laptop motherboard that has everything I need but isn't too rubbish

davenn likes this.
  6. AnalogKid

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
    An ATX motherboard will be *significantly* less efficient / more power hungry than a laptop anything. While your motherboard might not need or use all of the standard ATX voltages, it might have an onboard monitor that requires all of them to be present.

Separate from that, the most efficient way probably will be a collection of highly optimized converter circuits (buck, boost, inverting), one for each output voltage.

ak

Mittle likes this.
  7. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    You mean you want a laptop then......?

That's what you're making and there are laptops already that are as powerful (some more so) than desktop machines - certainly when compared to desktops of only a few years ago.

What do you need this computing power for? What will you be running that requires such processing power? If you are into gaming then how about putting a games machine into a briefcase/lid?

8. Mittle

Mittle

Jan 8, 2018
    I don't really want power so much as storage and a great deal of versatility and a quality some people call hackability. I want a laptop that has all the neat features I have seen in microcomputers like the Raspberry Pi and Arduino platforms. I could just buy a gaming laptop and take it out of its casing as you suggested but that seems unoriginal and a bit awkward. Most laptops aren't designed for hardware engineering anyway.

9. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    Such as?

AFAIK the only additional things they have are some directly accessible I/O ports that you can get using USB add-on's for any old PC. Same goes for BT, GPS, Wifi - you name it, there'll be a USB version of it.

Consider using a microAT format PC board or even and all-in-one solution that plugs directly into an HDMI port! There are gazillions of SBC (single board computers) out there - I have an old 386 board knocking around doing nothing - but the primary supplies are +12V and +5V, the 12V is available directly from a battery source and the 5V by tapping off it using an SMPS module (same would apply for 3.3V if the board required it but many SBC's have onboard regulators for those voltages.

List your exact requirements first - from that you can develop a plan to discover the best solution to fit your needs. If you end up describing a 'laptop' then I doubt you'll do a better job than anything that's already available on the market - old or new.

10. Mittle

Mittle

Jan 8, 2018
    I follow

11. Mittle

Mittle

Jan 8, 2018
    I guess I want a laptop board with GPIO for hardware prototyping and a lot of highly advanced sensors thats compatible with linux. It has to have at least more than six USB 3.0 ports because I use a lot of scientific peripherals

12. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    That's a bit vague.... but have you checked USB version availability?

Your 'problem' (if there is one) would be USB3 which means a relatively modern mobo. Finding a small footprint mobo with multi USB3 could be difficult.

Have you figured out the battery requirements of a 'standard' mobo yet? If you have a particular run-time requirement you may end up needing a laptop anyway to encompass their power-saving-specific design.

Have you got any mobo in mind already? If so, any links to them?

Mittle likes this.
  13. Mittle

Mittle

Jan 8, 2018
    I really like that you used the word mobo and your right that finding a small SBC board with a lot of USB3 ports will be difficult. Its why I wanted the GPIO! I'm assuming that GPIO is a lot simpler than USB3 here but if I have GPIO I think I can have more USB ports for science equipment like my microscope. I'm not really concerned about the battery life because I'm only planning on using this machine at workbenches and counters where there are a lot of power strips and I have a case large enough to accomodate quite a few extra battery packs.

What does mobo mean?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  14. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
  15. Mittle

Mittle

Jan 8, 2018
    This is an amazing website but whats a system on module?

16. Mittle

Mittle

Jan 8, 2018
    Board DB is the best website I have found yet for boards! I was looking on amazon and I couldn't find anything but atx boards

17. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    It's a complete PC on a tiny PCB that plugs into a memory socket (DIMM).

18. Mittle

Mittle

Jan 8, 2018
    whats DIMM and do you mean a RAM socket?

19. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    Yes a RAM socket - here's one:

SoM.png

Mittle likes this.
  20. Mittle

Mittle

Jan 8, 2018
    The database is quite helpful and rather nifty but I haven't the time to search all of it and it would be most impractical to do so on the screen of a smartphone. I need a single board computer that has a proccesor equivalent to an i5, minimum 8 gigabytes of RAM, a sata 3.3 port, is battery powered, supports a linux distro, has a few USB3 ports, gigabit ethernet, bluetooth, wifi maybe GSM, a capable optical drive and a PCI slot. Some GPIO would be nice as well. And support for a laptop touchscreen

Darn its really kind of impossible isn't it

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
Ask a Question