Maker Pro
Maker Pro

MOT Winding

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
It's hard to tell right off the bat, but continuing with the same gauge wire, filling it out until it occupies almost half the width would be sensible.
Applying the winding as it is to a variac would tell you how far down in voltage you have to go before the core no longer saturates.
Then counting the number of turns you'll get a turns-per-volt figure to use for calculating the secondary.
Counting turns is just a meticoulus matter of using a loupe & a toothpick, counting X * Y turns and multiply.
It is useful to get some numbers on this & that, to be able to estimate if you'll reach your goal.

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
Thanks for your help Resqueline. Ive a mate that works for our rail network, his probably got a variac, and his an electonics engineer that started some 35 years ago in the Royal engineering regemant, i can get local help there as well. I will post the results when i get there, health allowing. Thankyou again for your help, its made a big difference than me alone woking it out.
Dave.

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
Transformer software

Hi every one.
Just something i found interesting, as my maths is less than perfect.
I found this software program, if anyone has followed this thread it might be of some use.
Please if you decide to use this software be careful, i have entered some parameters and found the results in theory to be ok, but i have not yet used the calculator for a real practical transformer.

My intended use was for calculating the MOT windings for a better more officiant transformer with out loss of power, IE primary secondary turns ratio.

Ive posted its link as it might be useful, i except no responsibility from problems arising from its use.

I did not write or design the program, so until i wind a practical transformer can not support its accuracy.

There seems to be other software as well to download, i have only downloaded the transformer calculator program.

On a final note if you use such software calculators please verify there integrity to be accurate before building or going practical and following the program.
Dave. :)

http://www.electronicecircuits.com/electronic-software/transformer-calculation-software